Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a house and am working on installing in the electrical. I have a large deck with lots of led lighting and want to hardwire the low voltage transformer to a gfci circuit breaker. All the low voltage transformers I see online have a cord with a three prong plug. Is there's a line of transformers that are made to be hardwired into the house? Failing that, is it acceptable to replace the plug wire with Romex inside the wall? I'm guessing it's not.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Builder contractor. I have a technical background in electricity and electronics and a degree in aerospace engineering. Among other things, I worked as a system engineer for the navy overseeing the custom installation of weapon systems on a test ship. I dealt with everything from electrical wiring to ventilation to plumbing. I wired my last house from the weathehead to the outlets with no hits from the inspector. I removed a load bearing wall and supported the existing ceiling/trusses with a concealed beam in the ceiling. I also plumbed the house with copper from the meter throughout the house. I calculated the runs and re-plumbed the house for natural gas as well, ensuring all outlets had adequate flow. I drew all my own plans for the remodel and pulled permits for everything. I'm facile enough in most building trades though I'm far from being a contractor. But I'm quite confident in my ability to wire things correctly. I just need to know what's acceptable.

Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cut the male end off of a GFCI three way cord, wire it to you panel box? pull trough conduit(s)

You want your transformer as close to the load as possible as the voltage drops, LINE LOSSES increase , Center of mass( load) demand, MAYBE even TWO transformers to keep runs short??

mount the trannys under the deck under one of many dry storage systems sold for under deck use? One less fire hazard for inside the home......

Why not a 60-100 Amp 240VAC out door rated panel at the deck area for cooking etc?

Welded gas lines or the thin wall stainless steel that will burn through from low voltage leaks? I'd buy a CO2 gas +natural Gas, detector tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut the male end off of a GFCI three way cord, wire it to you panel box? pull trough conduit(s)
Yeah, that doesn't sound right...

Really I'm just looking to source a 300 watt LED transformer made to be hardwired to a breaker. I figured in a forum about outdoor lighting someone would know if they're even out there. Short of that, a legitimate way to convert a corded transformer to hardwired, if that's even possible. Im not looking to get crazy.

Steve

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,429 Posts
Modifying a corded transformer would invalidate its UL certification. With your background, you should know that.

I fail to understand the need for hardwiring; that will just make the system harder to service in the event of any problems. But what you seek is indeed available. Most any lighting/electrical supply house can supply one.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Modifying a corded transformer would invalidate its UL certification. With your background, you should know that.

I fail to understand the need for hardwiring; that will just make the system harder to service in the event of any problems. But what you seek is indeed available. Most any lighting/electrical supply house can supply one.
There is a single receptacle and plug right in the center of the unit to remove power from the transformer, Intermatic also makes an Astronomical timer that fits right in there to adjust for DST and no need for large secondary timer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fail to understand the need for hardwiring;
Your need to understand being irrelevant notwithstanding, in addition to the deck lighting I want to run LED lights on the outside walls of my house running the wires in the exterior walls while mounting the transformer on an interior wall in a convenient closet. Hardwiring the unit makes for a cleaner installation while allowing me control the exterior and deck lighting from inside the house.

However, the only hardwired units I've seen online are simple transformers not intended for wall mounting. I thought maybe someone in this forum might be able to provide some practical insight on brands and models that I might consider.
Please give me a little credit. I've been implying all along it's probably not legit. ATST, I saw one unit that appeared to have an optional cord although it was otherwise unsuitable. Not sure why the cord was optional but it is one reason I"m asking supposed (Cut the plug off and wire it directly to the panel? Please.) professionals for their opinion. Thank you for yours.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts