Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help guys!
Doing a bid for a GC (one I do a lot of work for) and he is speccing out a home. Customer wants to use Hardie Board and Batten and trim on a house.
Looking at two options
1. Prefinished from manuf, 30 year warranty
2. Painted on site with Duration, lifetime warranty on materials only.
This is not used much in this area, the home will be in a heavy snow area.
It will be labor intensive to caulk and paint all nail holes and cut edges.
I can see where a factory applied finish is preferable.
It is not as much as the price, but the quality of finish.
Which do you prefer? Have you seen problems with either?
How about the nails?
Colored?
Sunk?
TIA

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
The factory finish will still have to be caulked and filled wont it ? Which means touch up's.
I have never done pre-finished Hardie, but we used to do a builder who used pre-finished wood on his houses. Nothing ever touched up, and there was always the raw ends, and usually a board or 2 that hadnt been painted. We would have to repaint the boards that we touched up, I remember one house where we kept going back to because no matter what we tried we could not get paint to match. It would match on one board and then not match the next. After a year of endless touch ups the builder finally paind us to repaint the whole exterior. The whole experience kinda turned me off on pre-finished exterior products.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
what are you face nailing? siding?trim?usually the siding is blind nailed,you dont countersink nails in fibercement nail it flush,you really should get a hardie install manual or check out the finishing specs online

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
The siding itself is all blindnailed so the only nail filling will be the corner and window / door trim material.
The best experience I have had is to paint it on site with a custom duration color.Looks better and is easier to maintain.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i think your reading the detail wrong you dont sink the nails,if you happed to sink a nail your supossed to caulk it and add a nail driven flush

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think your reading the detail wrong you dont sink the nails,if you happed to sink a nail your supossed to caulk it and add a nail driven flush
That is why I am asking, I was told to estimate for caulking nails. And that just did not make sense, that's why I come here!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts