Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi: I'm going to be building a 3 car garage and am looking into using the pre-painted hardie panels, possibly with the battens. I've never installed this before and wondered if anyone could offer me advice from their experiences.

I was going to use 15 or 30 lb felt underneath. yes or no?

I also wondered how smooth an edge you'll get if you cut it with a jigsaw on a radius : My garage doors are 10' wide, I was going to hang the siding down a bit at the head of each garage door and cut a small radius across the head after install.

Thanks, Dave

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I know it cuts clean with a circular saw, you have to slow down for it compared to wood. You might go through a few blades but I imagine it would work. I think I'd use an aggressive blade so it didn't load up.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
RangoWA said:
I know it cuts clean with a circular saw, you have to slow down for it compared to wood. You might go through a few blades but I imagine it would work. I think I'd use an aggressive blade so it didn't load up.
Not if you use a hardi blade. I prefer diablo. I can cut 4 pieces stacked as fast as a framing blade cuts a 2x4. Faster cut = less dust and longer blade life. They seem to last forever compared to framing blades. Ymmv.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Not if you use a hardi blade. I prefer diablo. I can cut 4 pieces stacked as fast as a framing blade cuts a 2x4. Faster cut = less dust and longer blade life. They seem to last forever compared to framing blades. Ymmv.
I'll look into it if I have more than a few cuts to make. Diablo makes good blades, I use the triple grind for up to 1/4" aluminum on a cabinet saw.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would cut your hardi in the upside down position, you will get less dust on the finished surface.

+1 on diablo blades, spendy, but you can get 30 squares out of a blade before you think to replace it.

Pre-paint your backer shingles to match your finish paint color.

I vote for 15# felt. 30# on in\out corners sux.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I would cut your hardi in the upside down position, you will get less dust on the finished surface.

+1 on diablo blades, spendy, but you can get 30 squares out of a blade before you think to replace it.

Pre-paint your backer shingles to match your finish paint color.

I vote for 15# felt. 30# on in\out corners sux.
totes, what are ''backer shingles''?

·
Registered
551 Posts
totes, what are ''backer shingles''?
That's just what I call them I guess.
I use 5x8 thin gauge metal shingles behind butt joints. I've seen the felt used too, but with the pre-painted, it's nice to have the shingle in paint color...In cause you are doing non-caulked butts and you get visible gappage.
(Noncaulked butts :laughing:.....)

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
you mean the shears Matt?too slow and too messy imo,but come in handy on occasion
Yes. It always seemed fast enough for me and way less messy than spewing silica dust all over the place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hitachi makes a carbide jigsaw blade for the Hardy material that works very well. We use a color matched trim coil for our backer shingles saves a lot of time painting.

As for a weather barrier behind it, I would use a drainable housewrap. It seems to allow the material to dry better than it being tight to the felt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Subbing this out would be my first choice too, if it wasn't my own garage. I hate the thought of all the silica dust.

The drainable housewrap stuff looks like a very good product/concept, but at 5x the money as felt, not sure it's worth the price difference. And from what I've seen, if the siding is installed properly, the felt will work as good or better than the tyvek type products.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Subbing this out would be my first choice too, if it wasn't my own garage. I hate the thought of all the silica dust.

The drainable housewrap stuff looks like a very good product/concept, but at 5x the money as felt, not sure it's worth the price difference. And from what I've seen, if the siding is installed properly, the felt will work as good or better than the tyvek type products.
Where a respirator. Even if OSHA doesn't require it yet. I had a few years of my life that I spent cutting FC siding everyday on new apartment buildings. I really regret it now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I really regret it now.
I've also been irresponsible with dust on the hot days...
Are you experiencing adverse health effects as a direct result of cutting FC without a respirator?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts