Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much per square extra is hardi plank 7" exposure cedar shake opposed to the lap siding? materials... i pay about 160 for lap siding pre-finished...

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I think they are cheaper, but it costs more for installation. Hardie makes the shake panels and the individual shakes. The individual shakes are cheaper yet, if I recall correctly

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The Hardi Shingle cost is a little more than double what the plank costs from what I remember, its been a while since I have used them.

I now use the Nichiha Sierra Shake panels, they are better looking, prefinished, twice as thick, and cheaper overall.

·
CEO Construction Ahead
22 Posts
IN Illinois the straight edge and staggered edge shake is 3 times the cost of the lap siding, 7" ttw lap is approx. 145.00 Color PLUS, and the staggered and straight edge shake is around 430.00 per sq COLOR PLUS.
I agree that the Nichiha shake is better in the overall thickness but it is prestained by DucksBack stain that is only semi transparent stain with a 12 year warranty, you would have to source an outside painter like Pro Build, Cedar Siding or the like to flood coat to get a 15 year warranty that is comparable to Hardie, if you wanted a primed product for a solid body stain. Nichiha Shake is hands down a better look, and easier to use, longer lengths less installed pieces.
JH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts