Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer building a new home with about 40 sq of siding and was wanting to know your thoughts about the product. Is it worth the up front cost vs. painting after installing? Please let me know the good bad and ugly. Are they better off buying primered and painting? They will be using the 8" lap and some shingle.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is the duribility of the Colorplus finish, how does it hold up to handeling? I have seen the back flash pieces for the but joints, do the ends get calked where it butts to the trim. Are there any face nails needed on the 8" siding?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hardie offers a 15 year warranty on color plus products
Siding should have blind nails except top board
all trim contact needs to be caulked

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
finehomebuilding magazine did a article on this topic earlier this year.

it came down to the fact the prepainted siding is primed then baked then painted and baked which " creates a more durable finish" as the moisture content is controlled which makes the risk of blistering or flaking off virtually on existant if the product is installed correctly.

i suppose it comes down to what color the H.O. wants on their house. havent seen any problems with the pre-painted stuff but the homes that were painted after the fact need a fresh coat just after 8 years or so

1 - 7 of 7 Posts