Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow! That dome is awesome, I'm still trying to figure out the first picture though :eek:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Not so much hard, but lots of work. 4x10 cedar rafters were dadoed out 3" down from the top to receive 1x6 T&G boards. 2" ridgid foam insulation glued down on top of T&G, leaving 1" of ventilation space under 3/4 T&G roof deck. Rafters were lag bolted through the ridge beam with 1/2x10 galvanized bolts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
Wow! That dome is awesome, I'm still trying to figure out the first picture though :eek:
First pic is our plank setup. We frame the underhanging soffit all the way across to tie it all in nice. Then we frame the curved rafters, tying them into the soffit. Then we swing a radius and cut the soffit to form the lip.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wow thats some great work guys very clean just nice to look at :thumbsup:

Its almost a shame to cover such quality framing up.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This one was physically challenging to build alone, nothing as mathematically challenging as some of the above work! (I just built the deck, not the house)

Mac

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Below was the most taxing thing I've done mentally. billy was a super good teacher. I'll be a year since the class this coming January and I think with the drawings we made in class, I could develop an eyebrow if I had one to do.

I think it would be a lot easier to do full scale snapped out on the floor than working with these little pieces.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Below was the most taxing thing I've done mentally. billy was a super good teacher. I'll be a year since the class this coming January and I think with the drawings we made in class, I could develop an eyebrow if I had one to do.

I think it would be a lot easier to do full scale snapped out on the floor than working with these little pieces.
If your anything like me, you better find someone to sell one to pronto. If I don't use it I lose it:laughing: I find projects and problems all the time where I have to stop and think "hmm I did one of these 15-20 years ago......how did I do it?" Part of the problem with remodeling is there are so many problems if that makes sense

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If your anything like me, you better find someone to sell one to pronto. If I don't use it I lose it:laughing: I find projects and problems all the time where I have to stop and think "hmm I did one of these 15-20 years ago......how did I do it?" Part of the problem with remodeling is there are so many problems if that makes sense
I know how that is. This year has been so slow that I can't remember most of the roof framing formulas I've been using for the last 5 years :shutup:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
My hardest were some multiplexes, the building itself wasn't hard at all, but the plans had no dimensions on the interior walls on the first floor. And my crew knew nothing about framing, actually less than nothing. It had a bunch of 45 degree walls in it too, so I basically had to snap everything out and make the lines come together however I could, didn't have any other choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)

How did you figure it,was it pure geometry or did it require something like trig?.Also do you think doing it purely geometrically would be practical on a larger scale.

I framed one through trial and error and prayed for it to be over lol,so I would love to know a practical way of calculating these little bastards.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

Curious where you took that class, Olympic College?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Curious where you took that class, Olympic College?
I believe his name is Bily Dillon. I don't want to butt into Tim's stuff, but his pics of the class are here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TimothyUhler/BillySEyebrowClass#

Here is SBE Builders pictures of the class.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SBE.Builders/EyebrowDormerModelDevelopmentClassByBillyDillon#

I'm getting ready to do one myself in about a month, so this documentation by Tim is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I believe his name is Bily Dillon. I don't want to butt into Tim's stuff, but his pics of the class are here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TimothyUhler/BillySEyebrowClass#

Here is SBE Builders pictures of the class.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SBE.Builders/EyebrowDormerModelDevelopmentClassByBillyDillon#

I'm getting ready to do one myself in about a month, so this documentation by Tim is much appreciated.
Ahh, looks like that school is in Massachusetts. That would be a cool thing to learn but I have never even seen a roof like that around here, probably will never build one.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts