Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of an electrical inspection my inspector informed me that the hardwired & looped smoke detectors that my company installed in the course of building out the basement would need to be linked with new hardwired smoke detectors upstairs where we had remodeled a bathroom.

I understand the need for the smoke detectors and the need for the connection to the units downstairs. Unfortunately the plans that the clients provided did not provide that detail, and consequently I did not include their installation or the associated costs in my cost estimate or scope of work.

My permits original scope of work included the build out of the basement with the creation of a new bath , the renovation of the existing 1st foor bath and the remodel of the existing kitchen. As you might expect my contract includes language that addresses situations like this:

(…11. EXTRA WORK AND CHANGE ORDERS: If Owner or his agents or any public body or inspector directs any modification or addition to the work covered by this Contract, the Contract Price and time of performance shall be adjusted accordingly….)

Based on my first impressions of the clients during the estimating process I opted to write separate contracts for the basement build-out and the first floor bath remodel in the case that our personalities were, as I suspected, fundamentally incompatible. As it turns out upon completion of the basement and the 1st floor bath the clients decided to have someone else complete their kitchen.

So, there it is - as you have no doubt guessed by now the clients are asking that I pay for their new contractor to make the smoke detector corrections. As I said I understand the need for the wiring and the units themselves. My contention is that since the installation exceeds the original scope of work and amounts to an improvement of the existing conditions and that the client will derive material benefit from the prescribed improvements that they, the client should bear the costs of the necessary work.

The clients owe me approximately $2000 in holdbacks due upon final inspection. Any feedback on this situation and how best to resolve it would be greatly appreciated.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,968 Posts
Should knowing the Codes to begin with be a part of your job? And using contract language to distance yourself from that obligation being kind of lazy?

·
Registered
599 Posts
What did you do that lost you the kitchen? I think the answer to your question is a simple one........make the connection and get paid!! With $2,000 on the line it's a no brainer. Sometimes you just have to take the L. If it were my business I'd be more worried about how I lost the kitchen job than anything else.

·
The Dude
2,274 Posts
What did you do that lost you the kitchen? I think the answer to your question is a simple one........make the connection and get paid!! With $2,000 on the line it's a no brainer. Sometimes you just have to take the L. If it were my business I'd be more worried about how I lost the kitchen job than anything else.
Agree on the make connection / get paid part.

Perhaps the kitchen is a job he doesn't want. Maybe the customer is a total PITA.

I was cutting down a cedar tree for somebody, and the lady got bitchy because I turned on the hose to wash the crud off my hands. Said something about taking money off because she pays the water bill ...

Ok lady you can take that .0000001 dollar off the amount. Being .5 or over of the significant digit, you round up - stupid beech!!! :laughing:

·
www.artisticrail.com
52 Posts
480sparky said:
Should knowing the Codes to begin with be a part of your job? And using contract language to distance yourself from that obligation being kind of lazy?
If I am reading the OP right it's not that he is arguing the requirement, more that he missed it and the client is asking him to pay another contractor to do work that he could do himself.

There are many things in Reno,s that are missed and contract language is an insurance, if it is small you eat it, if the documents you were presented are incorrect that's another story. From what he said the documents the client presented for bidding the project did not list that requirement.

As the GC, i am guessing your electrical sub should have caught it and priced it in, if you are the EC, I would question why you did not figure for it.

If you can make the connection, I say do it and get out, if they are demanding the other contractor do it,give them an allowance based on your cost and cut your losses.

If that is unacceptable because they won't let you back in lay that out to the building department, they have away of letting HO know it cost more because permits need to change to follow the contractor, why do you want to pay twice

·
General Contractor
8,074 Posts
From what I understand, when he finished the basement, there was no smoke detector in the basement (or there was one in a different location) After the basement was done, there should be a smoke detector at the stairway going upstairs and that smoke should be tied in with the rest of the smoke detectors upstairs... I guess that wasn't done. Since he wants extra money to do the wiring, they hired someone else and now holding back from what they owed him... Right?

If that is the case, you should have accounted for that smoke detector to be wired, this is nothing new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts