Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do you require your guys to where hard hats?

·
GC/carpenter
43,890 Posts
mudpad said:
I always have a few newbies that show up with no hard hat and have to borrow one. I keep a half a dozen pink ones for loaners. They tend to get returned. :thumbup:
Back when I was young and stupid I use to wear a mailmans hat it was very light, but looking back on it I wasn't getting a way with anything accept risking my own ass.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
We usually never wear one but on certain government jobs we have been required.

When I worked for a plumbing/excavating company we were required most of the time. We did lots of work at the mines and there it was full out safety dress.

·
GC/carpenter
43,890 Posts
We used to have to wear them while forming walls on slabs for tilt-up construction. Never did understand that, nothing was above our heads. It sucked bent over all day trying to keep it on.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We pretty much always have to wear lids and boots on construction sites...unless you wanna pay the fine add get kicked off.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
when do you require your guys to where hard hats?
Whenever the GC requires it. Sometimes I look at how well the rule is enforced and if the other trades are wearing them. If the rule is "relaxed" I will still tell my guys to wear em but to use common sense.

Californiadecks said:
It sucked bent over all day trying to keep it on.
Most times you don't have to have them on if you are working on something where it isn't practical... e.g. under a countertop or bending over, etc. as long as you have the hard had in your possession right beside you and you have it on every time you are walking through the site.

·
GC/carpenter
43,890 Posts
I worked in the Union, it didn't matter if you were bent over they had to be on. They were strictly enforced.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Get you one of these and make a jobsite fashion statement.:thumbup:
I keep chinstraps on all my lids, they can be really helpful despite their goofy appearance.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
If I had to wear a hard hat I'd pass on the job cause I sweat like a fat man and would hate it.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
When I was tract framing in Vegas the GC super was a nazi about hard hats. You ever try snapping out with a hard hat on? Thing constantly falls off when you bend over. And please- wearin a brain bucket to snap? What is supposed to fall on you when your on a naked slab? I was the framing super and liked to snap a Lot (got paid my salary plus piece rate for doin the work) so I would do it on the weekends when the GC super was gone :)

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I keep chinstraps on all my lids, they can be really helpful despite their goofy appearance.
When people tell me they can't keep their hard hats on because they have to bend over I offer them a piece of tie wire to use as a chin strap. They usually figure out a way to keep it on.:laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
When people tell me they can't keep their hard hats on because they have to bend over I offer them a piece of tie wire to use as a chin strap. They usually figure out a way to keep it on.:laughing:
99% of the time the chin strap is inside the hat ontop of my head, but if I have to do some work on awkward things up on a roof it's really nice to be able to pull it over your chin and lean over the edge without your hat sliding off.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I just saw the cart pusher at wally world wearing the safety yellow vest and a hard hat:laughing::laughing:

He did have the electric pusher out, so I guess he was operating heavy equipment:laughing::rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
A few commercial jobs I sub-supervised for hardhats were required until there weren't any overhead hazards. Basically the painters were the only ones who didn't wear HH's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts