Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped a friend today repairing some loose oak flooring in his kitchen. I was advised that it was glued down, but it was in fact stapled 3/4" over plywood. I normally rent the nailer when I install floors, but have considered a purchase to avoid rental fees in the future.

Of course today is Sunday and my options were limited. Home Depot only carries the bostich and they were out of stock. Lowes only had the Kobalt, but didn't sell 16g staples to fit in the unit...it's really weird that they don't stock staples for their own house brand, only cleats.

Out of desperation, harbor freight was the last resort so I tucked my tail between my legs and bought a $120 nailer with every intention of returning tomorrow and ordering a real nailer when I sell my next wood floor.

I was actually impressed with this unit. Held air, consistent depth, no jams, no curled staples...it did everything as expected. Granted, I only layed down about 70sf of flooring.

Has anyone used this nailer? Is it crap, or will it suffice for 6-8 floor jobs per year? I wonder how it will perform on harder woods. Just debating if I should just return it or hold onto it for a couple years.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
It's a Chinese knock off of the Bostich MIII. Even the rebuild kits will fit. For the use you're going to put it through, I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I bought a cheapie Mastercraft when they went on sale for 140. Only nailed one floor in it's life but it worked great.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You used it, it did what you asked of it. Why return it?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I layed 1500sqf so far with mine in 2 weeks will do another 550. Bought it in a pinch when my bostitch went down. Haven't fixed the bostitch yet lol

IT just work

Cole

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I also have one and it works fine after I tightened all of the nuts, their factory seems to not like to tighten them for some reason....

I have about 6000 sq feet so far with mine.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My Senco SKS went out on me a while back and I had to run buy something to finish the job. I wound up at Lowe's. They had Senco, but no SKS. I paid almost 300 dollars for that SKS back when my prostate was intact(a long time ago). The gun I bought at Lowe's was 80 dollars. Not as good, but it says Senco on it.

Most all of it is Harbor Freight quality these days. There are certainly exceptions, but most air tools are junk now. Disposable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This nail gun is the worst of its kind.
iv installed 1000sqft and it jams very often even after taking it apart and lubricating every single piece inside. I know this gun inside and out and if I where you I would be out with this gun.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I walked into a harbor freight the other day looking for a trailer tire with rim , I couldn't believe the employee shirts said "quality tools at ridiculously low prices" anything but quality, that's about a flat out lie to my face !

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I walked into a harbor freight the other day looking for a trailer tire with rim , I couldn't believe the employee shirts said "quality tools at ridiculously low prices" anything but quality, that's about a flat out lie to my face !
Yep, and I could put my attorney hat on and say " We didn't specify what level of quality - the prices should be an indicator. " lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts