Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just relocated to the NE from the SW, where all wall drywall was hung with nails or screws every 10 -12" , I'm finding here some guys go with PL glue and one screw in the center of the board. What is the lifespan of this method ?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Im sure alot of ppl hang this way but i never bought into it. It doesnt seem like it would save time to me. Plus when insulating i like to pull the lips of the kraft face over the face of the stud/joist then overlap the next one to create a continuous vapor barrier. Not sure if its neccesary or not but its the way ive always done it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
One screw won't pull it tight to the studs, it would probably make your wall more wavy then the pacific ocean.

Glued drywall is stupidly hard to remove so I wouldnt worry about the sheet falling off.

My father always glued his sheetrock but used half the screws.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dry wall

when hanging dry wall with glue only ,you always prey bow your sheets where the middle touches thin fasten at top and bottoms woks really well

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If and when I run into glued sheetrock I'll place a curse on that mans family that will never go away.

Do you know what that would mean to a guy in the remod/rehab business? It would totally blow an estimate.

It might be fast and easy for you guys but give a thought to those coming in behind you.

Reactions: reveivl

·
Ancient Rocker
65 Posts
Unbelievable Post

This is the most assinine post ever. Since when is it the drywall hanger's responsibility to make a remodeler's job "easier"? If you are cursing because it is so difficult to remove, then we have done a superb job to ensure the walls and ceilings are as tight as possible. Your me first attitude is childish and selfish. If there is a possibility it might be glued, then price it accordingly. Seems quite logical to me. If you hired a hanger, I hope you want the BEST job, not the most advantageous to a job that might be remodeled. I just realized you might have posted this as a joke. If you did, you put one over on me. If you are serious you need to find a different forum for your misguided,misinformed,and amateur musings. :furious:

·
Ancient Rocker
65 Posts
Simpleton

Your disrespectful and condescending statement about faster and easier proves you should stay in another forum. It is not easier or faster to glue, but better. If you have a problem with that, that is a reflection of your values, which seem to be in the tiniest minority. I don't believe any one has told to do a job, but don't do it the best way. If you think quoting Einstein elevates your intelligence, it didn't work. Please go back and reevaluate your attempt to sound knowledgable about drywall and let professionals exchange ideas. I am sure you will respond and say some thing equally profound, but you need to research the subject before posting such drivel.:laughing:

Reactions: NJPainter

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If and when I run into glued sheetrock I'll place a curse on that mans family that will never go away.
Yeah, I agree we shouldn't glue subflooring either, only use box-nails, never glue trim, never glue crown...that way its much easyer to take houses apart during a re-model....heck maby lego would work well.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
In my area of Michigan, all the hangers glue the walls and set one screw in the middle of the sheet and every stud along the edge. On the ceiling, no glue but 3 screws in the field per truss. They used to fasten to every stud but there is a big problem with screw pops.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Here in Florida we do alot of remodels. Thank god they don't glue here:thumbup: :thumbup:
When I started out in the ealy 70's we glued and nailed everything. Moved here to Florida in 79........threw away my glue gun and picked up a screw gun.

We make alot of changes before we finish and I often think what a pain it would be if we glued and nailed:eek: Sure would add alot to the bill.
By the way, how do you get all that glue off the studs when you do do remodels?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drywall Fastening

Drywall fastening techniques are different in quake zones. The glue and screw method is the best. If you use a screw every 12 inches and glue that is the best fastening method. Commercial and residential is different. Lumber spits nails and creates pops. Whats the big deal when you have automatic strip :whistlingscrew guns.

·
Profit is not dirty.
487 Posts
Man....wow...holy cow...a simple post like this started world war 3....
For you remodels out there , sorry if we screw up your estimates, but its your responsibility to check things out first...if the wall is glued, you need to add for that. But for you skeptics out there, GLUE is better, Somewhat faster for the finisher, painter, and less problems in the end. As for the boarders, its is a bit faster, but its well worth the extra effort. If the sheets are glued, properly to the studs, meaning proper drywall glue, and not PL than you will maximize the bond, and have way less problems. For you out there that have hung sheet rock for 30 years and always done with screws, and would never glue....you need to get with the times, and maximize your time, and maximize your profits. We are turning out a far better product in the end, and with my company, we have not fixd a single screw pop in 3 years. We use to have to go an fix several a month. but since we have not been depending on screws to hold the sheet, its been nice to know that the glue is holding and doing its job.
Give it a try,,,, glue a sheet with drywall glue, and put one screw every second or third stud..let set for several days, at normal room temp...that sheet will not come off in one peice.

·
Ancient Rocker
65 Posts
read very carefully

I know this is repeating myself,but apparently few are reading and comprehending. AARC is 99% correct about glue. It is not faster to glue and screw compared to only screwing, even if it's negligible. If you are foolish enough to believe only screwing is the best way, you are either stupid and/or stuborn. I have been gluing and screwing ceilings and walls for 38 years and had zero problems or complaints. I don't understand the amateurs who don't glue ceilings. Please enlighten me. By reducing the amount of fasteners by at least 50%, every one is a winner. Our responsibility as hangers is to make sure the drywall is as tight and flat as possible and that is ONLY achieved by gluing and screwing. If you want to live in the past, you can never move forward.:clap:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ancient, perhaps before going off on a tirade you could explain the ADVANTAGES of gluing.

I live in So. FL. Everything here has to meet OUR code which is one of the toughest in the Nation. I have not seen one job where anyone has used glue. I have no idea why anyone would do this.

·
Profit is not dirty.
487 Posts
perhaps you are right.....i apologize.

Glue.
The benefits are as follows. When you glue the studs in a 1/4 to 1/2" continuous bead down each stud, you gain more bonding area for the drywall sheet to the stud, on all studs. Rather than having the screws bonding the drywall to the studs, in two the three spots per stud. Where as glue is a continuous bond for the whole stud on the back of the sheet.
Because you are using glue, you will only require one screw every few studs. Now this is a topic on its own, so that is for a later post. We put screws every second stud, screw or nails top and bottoms and sides. What this does is sucks the sheet to the studs and when the glue is allowd to set, it will hold the drywall from the back of the sheet rather than the front. And by having less screws, you have less to fill, less mud or materials, and less labor to coat screws. Also the main advantage of glue is that you will have far less drywall screw pops, and call backs.
As for time, it takes about 20 seconds to glue a 12' by 4' area, if you know what you are doing and are well practiced.
So basically that is it. there are other advantages, but above is the main.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Now look at it from my POV. MY guys are hanging while YOUR guys are applying glue. I'm still missing the advantage.

I'm 58, Dad was a CBC, You aren't dealing with a newbie.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I know this is repeating myself,but apparently few are reading and comprehending. AARC is 99% correct about glue. It is not faster to glue and screw compared to only screwing, even if it's negligible. If you are foolish enough to believe only screwing is the best way, you are either stupid and/or stuborn. I have been gluing and screwing ceilings and walls for 38 years and had zero problems or complaints. I don't understand the amateurs who don't glue ceilings. Please enlighten me. By reducing the amount of fasteners by at least 50%, every one is a winner. Our responsibility as hangers is to make sure the drywall is as tight and flat as possible and that is ONLY achieved by gluing and screwing. If you want to live in the past, you can never move forward.:clap:
We don't glue ceilings in Florida, if we don't use 5/8" boards, we will use 1/2" ceiling boards and I haven't seen them sag.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm still asking 'why glue?'

I guess that it could be considered a structural component until it got wet?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts