Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was hanging some art in a high rise condo. The exterior walls on the terrace turned out to be foam with a stucco-like finish coat. I need to hang a 20 lb piece of art (with picture wire) on that wall. The wire is taught (horizontal), so standard "ooks" won't work because they pull away. Pop-toggles - couldn't set 'em - they just plunged into the wall. Togglers ? Nope - foamboard isn't 't drywall - they just chewed up the foam. Toggles? I worried the foam won't hold. Whatever's beyond the foam (about 2"), I couldn't drill it.

An ideas? I'm thinking about pinning a backer onto it + a couple blobs of silicone. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eifs probably over cmu or steel. Did you try a masonry bit? A standard carbide bit should have at least generated some dust to let you know.
Maybe I should have tries a masonry bit, but that surface was about 2" deep - what would that do for me? Tapcons? Will they work or bend on me?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
A 3" nail at a steep angle should hold 20lbs pretty easy if it's something like pink or blue styrofoam.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's white foam.,,,like the annoying stuff they pack lighting in. There's no lathe. I also tried a self-drilling 3" cabinet screw (without pre-drilling), and that didn't work. Didn't think it would. No idea how the foam is attached.

You have me thinking about trying 3" masonry nails. (Hope I have some lying around somewhere.)

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Are you sure you really want to put holes in EIFS?
Especially with all of the problems associated with waterproofing?

I would rather glue something on to it, than put a hole in it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Isn't there some sheething beyond the 3" of foam?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got the answer, providing its interior and you don't care what it looks like behind the picture.

Got to the lumber yard and buy a piece of 1-1/2" dowel and some 5 minute epoxy.

Using a 1-1/2" hole saw, cut through the stucco, foam 2". Remove foam plug.

Epoxy in a 2" length of the dowel. Add hook or small nail.

This will be bullet proof.

I've done this many times with structural aircraft parts. It's called a
hard-point.

Now, if the wall needs to be finished, maybe you can recess it in a little and stucco patch over the dowel.

Good luck

Bob

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I've got the answer, providing its interior and you don't care what it looks like behind the picture.

Got to the lumber yard and buy a piece of 1-1/2" dowel and some 5 minute epoxy.

Using a 1-1/2" hole saw, cut through the stucco, foam 2". Remove foam plug.

Epoxy in a 2" length of the dowel. Add hook or small nail.

This will be bullet proof.

I've done this many times with structural aircraft parts. It's called a
hard-point.

Now, if the wall needs to be finished, maybe you can recess it in a little and stucco patch over the dowel.

Good luck

Bob
A six story residential building? Sounds like a condo.

Who owns the wall? Almost certainly not the OP. Maybe best to quit before you make a mess you have to repair.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's polystyrene foam. A scratch coat is placed over the foam then a finish coat. The polystyrene is usually mechanically fastened but if the condo is a precast unit they probably "glued" the panels on.
Fiberglass mesh is used to back wrap the edges or where the foam has been breached before scratch and finish coats applied.
Like rrk said glue something to it than putting holes in it. The holes you did put in it put some sealant that matches the stucco. The art wont be on the wall forever and the damage your doing trying to put the art on the wall is going to look like crap.
I use to do EFIS inspections back when I was in the home inspection business. Im no longer certified in it.
Here is some basic info.
http://www.wbdg.org/design/env_wall_eifs.php#apps

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,422 Posts
If the damage has already been done, then I'd rip a piece of 2x4 to the thickness of the stuff and maybe 3-4" long...cut out the stryo to the size of your wood and epoxy the wood in place. Add a hook to capture the hanger wire and call it a day.
I had to replace a simple door bell button on this stuff and ended up epoxying the screws in place as the screws alone wouldn't hold.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts