Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I say go for it, but your rate needs to be a bit higher than $20/hr. At 23, you'll gain a lot of valuable experience, mainly organizing your time. Insurance is a MUST, even if you're doing this part time. A few hundred bucks on a GL policy could save you from potentially spending the rest of your life paying off one minor mistake. And we all make mistakes. Some minor, some major. Many years ago, I was working in a condo (tiling a bathroom) when the unlicensed, uninsured 'plumber' the HO hired was sweating pipes and set the unit on fire. A big fire that burned 50% of the 4-unit building. I was uninsured at the time (I was 24-25), and got a GL policy the next day, even though I was doing side-jobs part time. I've never had to ever use it, but I know I have it. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Truth is if you didnt' do a few side jobs over the years and then became a contractor. One probably went to college where they learned what the "real world" of construction is.
Yeah I never understood that. But there are many ways to skin a cat. If someone takes a different path than me so be it. I started off doing side work till my job got in the way of the side work and so I had to quit the job and do my own thing. That was May of 2001.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah I never understood that. But there are many ways to skin a cat. If someone takes a different path than me so be it. I started off doing side work till my job got in the way of the side work and so I had to quit the job and do my own thing. That was May of 2001.
I don't care either way myself. Just something doesn't make sense telling a guy not to work a equivalent of 4 days a month at the proposed 20 dollars a hour. whoopie

I haven't done a "side job" in a few years but when I did it was because some contractor flaked on the meeting to do the job in the first place. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
If you're just starting out and in you're in a cheaper place like AZ I don't think $20/hr is so bad. It sounds like this is the first time you've gone on your own so there's some learning to be done for you. How to organize your tools, how to invoice and keep your books, etc. It'll be a good learning experience for you and making little bucks will sharpen you up pretty quickly.
Inner is on the right track if you're going to be doing service type work for a living - charge a lot for the first hour and charge as if you're only going to be billing about 6 hours a day because that's about all you're going to get out of any given day.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts