Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If I read it correctly, this document: http://www.azleg.gov/ars/32/01121.htm has Arizona's version of what might be called the handyman exemption. Section 14 seems to say that with some exceptions, unlicensed handymen can work on projects of value under $1000. If that's your situation, then go for it.

What should you charge? If you're at all competent, probably considerably more than you're thinking. It will keep you and them focused on having you be productive.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go for it. Just remember as previously mentioned, you may get a 1099 in January so be saving. Also look into getting a small handyman insurance policy for some level of protection. Around here that only costs a few hundred $ per year for a $1 million policy.

As far as your wages, sounds like you'll be dealing with a fair amount of chit, so consider that into your price. Like you said they have nobody else to do it and theyre used to paying your bosses prices so be generous to yourself. You can always negotiate down if needed. Not everyone gets to start at their daddy's big construction co. so it will be good experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I talked to this lady and she was thinking 20 per hour and they will 1099 me. I'm not sure it's worth me doing that because I will owe at end of year

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
this handyman thing gets my blood boiling, as a licensed contractor i can not do plumbing or electrical work, but some guy thinks if he calls himself a handyman he can do it all. no license or ins no workers comp, but one call does it all.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
zlgo said:
Well I talked to this lady and she was thinking 20 per hour and they will 1099 me. I'm not sure it's worth me doing that because I will owe at end of year
It isn't worth working if you'll have to pay taxes? Or do you think that's not enough? For the jobs you described that sounds like good money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I just do not want to owe at end of year. She's telling me as long as it's less that 600 a year It won't count or be 1099. And no overhead they would buy anything I just do wrk

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's probrobly fair enough but, I'd negotiate.

And Sunkist you really think this dude's cramping your style? You probrobly wouldn't even want to do the jobs he'll be doing.

What's the matter with repair men? In your point of view you have to be a licensed master plumber to unclog a toilet? Do you do large remodels and measly repair jobs too? No, I bet when your customer calls with a turd of a job you send them away don't ya? Repair/maintenance is where some get their start.

·
Registered
242 Posts
600 a month I think sorry
Its 600 a year. If you intend on doing construction type jobs the rest of your life you may as well get the experience. Save money for taxes Federal state and city. When I was in your shoes I just put back 35
% of every check I got and it was always more than enough to cover. But do your own math and be prepared. screwing up with the IRS isn't fun.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
600 a month I think sorry
No, it's per year but you still have to report the income even if they don't 1099 you so it really doesn't matter. Your tax preparer will file a schedule C (I think that's the right letter :laughing:)

I really have to commend you for checking out the back end details before jumping into this. Many people just jump into it head first with NO research and get nasty surprises at tax time.

From the way you communicate at 23, I think you have a potential future as an entrepreneur. (No text abbreviations, and if they were there, they were minor and I didn't notice them) Hang in there buddy!

You survived your easy hazing here pretty well and kept a cool head.:thumbsup:

Go over to the intro section and do an introduction. We LOVE helping young men enter the field the right way.

·
Registered
585 Posts
$20 an hour? No way man... Thats insulting. Work on building up your skills and tool/equipment collection and find some clients worth working for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Guys I have a full time job with gc I'm starting to learn how to run small jobs and I also am the like lead labor/foreman I guess you can call it idk lol. But this is strictly extra money for me so I'm not looking to get rich and it's going to take up little of my time. The lady is telling me as long as I don't make more than 600 a year off it then It's legal under the table pay as an independent contractor. She says it's the same as their writers and such they hire as independent contractors. Is this true I have no idea? But she swears up and down that she's been doing this and works close with their cpa and stuff like that :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
The lady is telling me as long as I don't make more than 600 a year off it then It's legal under the table pay as an independent contractor. She says it's the same as their writers and such they hire as independent contractors. Is this true I have no idea? But she swears up and down that she's been doing this and works close with their cpa and stuff like that :rolleyes:
*It's legal for them not to have to file a 1099 for under $600, but it is not legal for you to not report that income regardless of if the 1099 shows up in the mail.

*(Written by a contractor and small businessman, and not a lawyer or CPA)

If they are only thinking you will be paid about $600 or way less in a year, it's really no loss if you decline. Your insurance policy alone would probably be about half of that. Some work isn't worth doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well she says they'll write me checks. It's mainly only for one month then possibly permanent but I'm not going to make more than 600 a year off it and don't plan on getting any insurance. Maybe it's just better to pass up...I've done stuff like this before and made way more than 600 off a guy and still good but then he gave me an i9 and I no longer do work with him. At least for now. He was a licensed contractor but yea idk I might pass it up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe its illegal to pay by the hour for subcontractors in Ohio. We dis it anyway coming up on a few jobs. Shoot for more like $35 an hour.

Saving for taxes is a must. You will reach the $600 mark quickly.

Cause we allllllllll claim every penny we make right. :whistling

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Haha well guys this is why I'm on here I don't think the or going to go 35. It might just be more of a head ache for me then worth it. I make 16 an hour at my job now and get as much ot I want depending on how busy but I guess I don't NEED to do this idk...I want to cause I like the experience and I'm the kind of person that doesn't pass up cash money so it is what it is.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts