Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I'm 23 currently work for gc. I was offered to do some handyman work on side 1-2 times per month for a small apartment community of only 12 units. I can do pretty much everything including minor plumbing and electrical. But no hvac. Mind you I'm not licensed in any way and I would be going into units to fix stuff with tenants in or not in them at times and there all women (it's a housing for single women with children). They would be paying for all materials that I would need and I have the tools. My question is how much per hour ballpark should I be charging the community foundation? Also the gc I work for remodeled this community just 2 years ago. Also, am I playing with fire here if a tenant says I stole something or stuff like that?

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I'm surprised they would let you do anything there without a license. Without that, all the liability goes to the community management.

I'm also surprised you don't have to be bonded for just the example you mentioned..."someone claims I stole something"

As far as pay...in my mind it's a moot point since you're not licensed to do at least some of the work you're supposed to be doing. Not to mention......how would we know what you should make where you live?

·
Knucklehead in charge
102 Posts
"Also, am I playing with fire here if a tenant says I stole something or stuff like that?"

No, the community foundation is playing with fire by hiring somebody under the radar.

As for your hourly fee, I'd bill them at a rate of 200 dollars per hour since you actually believe in your mind that you can do "pretty much anything"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well is tucson az and second of all I don't mean everything, my bad but anything that they are going to ask me to do they need done is cakewalk. She's already told me a list and it's all very easy stuff that they just have nobody to do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
sure, go in there uninsured, unlicensed... building burns down... women and children die... what you gonna do then?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What sorts of tasks are we talking about? Are you an employee of the GC or a subcontractor? You aren't licensed but do you have insurance?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff like touch up paint, putting in some posts for lights or fabric shade structure, drywall work, fixing doors. Just minor stuff, I won't be fixing anything extensive with plumbing or electricity though because I am not licensed. And yes I do work for the gc. But the lady gave me a call because I had felt with her on a daily basis when we had done the remodel. Basically if anything that was out of my hands needed to be done the gc I work with would deal with it. Imo that my project manager referee her to me keeping me in mind that I could make extra money on side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More than likely I won't be doing electric or plumbing I was thinking more along the lines of tightening drain pipes under sink, taking off and redoing Teflon tape, tightening light switches/ receptacles, stuff that's not going to get me in trouble I already know I'm not going to do anything that could jeopardize the building or community and could come back to me I'm not stupid, most of my work would be drywall/ paint/doors/cabinets. Etc..

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Have you asked your boss what he thinks about it? IF he is OK with it don't see a problem with touch up paint, clean outs, etc. Just keep in mind when you set your price that most likely at the end of the year they will issue you a 1099 and you will be responsible for income and self employment tax. And don't think you can cheat the IRS, you may sneak by for a bit, but they will catch you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Roughly double what GC pays you and then see how it goes from there. I wouldn't be concerned about someone claiming you stole something. I think that's the least of your problems.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Why would you need to be"taking off and redoing Teflon tape"Tightening and redoing light fixtures".Tightening drain pipes"
Oh hell' I give up on this one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn't matter why I would need to be doing that stuff ok. I'm giving small examples. So if you don't understand the situation then I don't want 2cents. I just wanted to know what you thought. These tenants that live in this place tear and f*** s*** up all the time. They are there for a reason. It's almost like a section 8 housing but for young single women with children.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the project manager of company basically told her about me and how I'd like to make extra money on side and to hit me up

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Just do it. For crying out loud guys mot landlords have someone who does the little things they can't or won't do.

As far as plumbing I bet it is stupid stuff like new wax rings or tightening up drains under sinks. As far as the electric it is likely just putting new face plates up or new lights.

To say one needs a license to be able to do these simple things is just ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Yes the project manager of company basically told her about me and how I'd like to make extra money on side and to hit me up
Sounds like it must be a large company. Most the smaller GC's would take issue with this arrangement IF they weren't informed about it.

Nearly every HOA I have worked for required a COI. (Certificate of insurance) There is nothing wrong with you doing little "fix it" kind of things as long is doesn't cross the threshold in your area of requiring a license.

Regardless, be prepared to make much less than you figured after a 1099, insurance, etc. So your labor rate must include these things. About half of what you charge (if you do it legitimately) gets eaten up by these things, and your overhead. (If you charge $20 per hour, you will clear about $10 per hour after all is said and done)

Check out this thread and look for your state. Maybe it will help you see what things you should NOT do.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f63/how-does-your-state-handle-licensing-94915/

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts