Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are festool junkies, tool snobs etc. But for me it is useing a hand saw for some reason every time I see a hand saw I don't have I buy it. Today I got to use my new irwin cross cut. Man what can I say this this ate through a 2x4 in about 15 seconds. What a nice little saw. This one is a keeper. The grip fit my hand perfect too.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100263

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I know there are festool junkies, tool snobs etc. But for me it is useing a hand saw for some reason every time I see a hand saw I don't have I buy it. Today I got to use my new irwin cross cut. Man what can I say this this ate through a 2x4 in about 15 seconds. What a nice little saw. This one is a keeper. The grip fit my hand perfect too.

I love getting a new hand saw until i catch my hand on the theeth when i grab for more tools in my bucket :censored:. My favs used to be the Bahco's. The fatmax ones with the Black coating aint half bad either.

You know you want one of these

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any laser hand saws but I might by this time next week. LOL

Yep the FM saw isn't too bad either have one in the garage for house use.

·
Banned
306 Posts
BC, uhhmmm....

how's that saw working for you? Seems like something I may get for a stocking stuffer from the wifey...

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
The best saws I have ever seen, I happen to have 4 of them. They were my fathers, made about post war.

They are "Disston 100", made in England. You would not beleive the quality of the steel. Nothing on the market today compares.

So next time you're at the flea market and see that old rusty saw, check it out. If it's stamped D100 on the side, buy it. You will not regret it.

LOL

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I saw that laser guided saw a year or so ago. I think I even posted it here. As I recall, despite the fact that the laser is mounted on a cheap sheet rock saw, they advertise it for use on wood, plastic, and any other material that you can imagine. As I recall, you can get the same laser setup mounted on a pair of scissors as well.

As far as good hand saws, I'm a big fan of the jap style saws. Paper thin blade, perfect cut quality, what's not to like? They are great for custom fitting trim on a remodel, where you are matching to an existing piece of trim that is probably not at the exact right angle, or a very good cut. I was replacing some trim in the city library this summer, and the two jap saws came out every morning, because you just figured that you would need them.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

I cut back on my sawzall usage alot when I got this retractible greenlee saw.^^

Doesn't poke holes in your toolbag, excellent blades both wood/drywall and metal...oh and it takes normal sawzall blades to boot!

My only complaint is after a year and a half I stripped the little nut inside that locks the blade in place...but for 15 bucks I can afford to get another. I now have 3 and have had a dozen people buy one after they saw mine.

Reactions: bdoles

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
That is pretty slick. Being able to take sawzall blades would be a huge advantage. Could you then also use the short Stanley jap saw blades? I've never seen them around here, I might need to order it online...

·
Banned
9,058 Posts

These kinds of statements always puzzles me (in bold). I can use the hell outta of a hand saw (a few)...so is it you can't afford a "festool" or you don't realize there are situations that call for different "solutions"? :blink:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Man what can I say this this ate through a 2x4 in about 15 seconds.
If every 2x4 I cut took me 15 seconds I would be broke. :laughing:

Cole you should try a circular saw, my Milwaukee must have eaten through a 2x4 in slightly less than 15 seconds guess its a keeper too!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Keep it up Bone and we'll be using the long named version of the unnamed saw....Mine is Bearcat something or other:laughing:. Everytime someone has a question about a tool, you have to run to the bucket to find out what it really is. I see you cruising the basement steps every once in awhile:whistling

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These kinds of statements always puzzles me (in bold). I can use the hell outta of a hand saw (a few)...so is it you can't afford a "festool" or you don't realize there are situations that call for different "solutions"? :blink:
and for full disclosure, yeah I've got both hand saws and festools :rolleyes:
Man must have struck a nerve with that statement. :shutup:

Honestly I have NEVER seen festool in the field or even heard of them before this site. After doing a lot of research on them I think some of there stuff would be very worth while to get. The local tool store doesn't stock any festool but can order it. I did talk to a regional rep around here that agreed to give a demo on there line. When he came by I was very impressed with the new DA, Tack saw, systainer, and vac. The cordless drill was not that great. The router was nothing special either.
The price was pretty dang shocking at first, but do relize they can and do save time/money in the long run.
You shouldn't assume people can't affored some thing or think there way through to a solution. It reflects negatively on your intelligence.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
While i can truely appreciate the ideals behind using a handsaw....i just cant muster myself to buy/stock them LOL!! Using my hacksaw when installing storm doors is all the human reciprocating i need to get my fix for making life harder on myself...i seem to find plenty of other way's to handle that task already:furious::laughing:

Plus with a bum right shoulder, anymore it's just too much to ask of it for nostalgia sake.

·
Banned
306 Posts
I could see were festool might look like a gimmick. But it is one of the best tools Ive bought. Its like a finish version of a sawzall.

I have a collection of hand saws as well. The three I use mostly, Stanley shark tooth (hacking), coping saw, lie-nielsen backsaw. The backsaw I use with a mitre jig, for running Base Shoe. Set of knee pads, I can fly around a room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts