Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time posting so be gentle with me.
I'm just starting a remodel on a handicapped bathroom and the goal posts have moved a little since I bid it . Basically it's in a care facility with people in power chairs and they are having issues with the toilets getting pushed by the chairs when they use them ( initially I was told to reinstall the existing toilet ) .
So basically I'm asking if anyone has experience with this kind of issue and what the best solution might be ? Someone mentioned a wall mount but I'm not sure if that would hold up any better to knocks ?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I recently took a handicapped remodeling course but this was not mentioned unfortunately. One thing they did cover was the use of retractable grab bars I wonder if some type of guard bar could be used, extending from the wall just below bowl height? Just thinking out loud....welcome to the site..

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have done accessible baths but have never heard of this issue.
Perhaps you can set the bowl dry to locate it correctly. Mark the toilet base so you can drill and install some stainless pins around the base to prevent the bowl from pivoting on the two flange blots. Than set the bowl inside the pins. Post back what you do. This is interesting.
Bill T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply . I want to make sure I get this one right because there are 26 other homes run by these people and whatever we do with this one will get replicated in the others .
I'm just the sub on this job and the GC is pushing for the wall mount as the solution but I'm not sure . The residents in this home are in power chairs ( some chairs as heavy as 500lbs ) . So my feeling is they will still hit it only next time they smash it off the wall .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggested if they wanted something indestructible they should use a stainless steel toilet anchored to both wall and floor .
I don't think they want the prison look though lol

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Silicone or construction adhesive to the floor. Leave an open area at the rear of the toliet.

Multi Master with caulk blade will be needed to remove the unit.

They do realize, no give may mean a lot of broken toliets?

Tom

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ok let me ask, are these folks missing legs, or paraplegic. I ask because if they are then the use of wheel chairs close to the toilets are so they can transfer. what about stainless "roll cages" I am thinking 1 1/4 set like this. It would be close enough to the bowl so it dosn't interfere with peoples legs, low enough to allow folks to transfer to and from. Far enough away to allow for cleaning. SS to allow for cleaning. Plus it would look good. Have a fabricator make a prototype with you make it for a specific toilet and have that unit installed with all retro fits if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None of them are missing limbs as far as I know but this is only one home among many they run . I do like the cage idea though . It could be something easily retrofitted to all the bathrooms .
Thanks everyone for your ideas

Jams

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
These things are pretty indestructible. They've lasted for 2000 years, plus survived a volcano and a couple earthquakes. :eek:

Nothing more useful to contribute to this conversation.

Delta

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think wall mounted might be the best solution----do beef up the studs---

The bumpers suggested earlier will become a cleaning problem----just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it looks like we are going with a wall mount for this bathroom but I'm going to make a mock up of the bumper idea and see how it might work as a retro fit in some of the other homes

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
These things are pretty indestructible. They've lasted for 2000 years, plus survived a volcano and a couple earthquakes. :eek:

Nothing more useful to contribute to this conversation.

Delta
I saw that and immediately identified it as Efes as well. In fact, I thought for a second that first guy with the hat on his knee was me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts