Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
General Contractor
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have client that needs hand rails installed in her bath tub threshhold so she can lift herself out of the tub. She weighs 200 lbs, so it needs to be strong.
Here's the problem. The construction of the building is typical N.Y.C limestone which is very soft.I considered threaded rods completely through the wall but it's back to back with a kitchen and cabinets are in the way. What is the best way to get optimal strength? If I break the area open, how would I secure some CDX or something in between the limestone?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I don't know if your limestone is softer than ours but here's an idea.
Drill holes for the longest lead shields that you can find. You are probably using # 12 or 14 screws with 3 or 4 on each end, 1-1/2" shields are about the best that you are going to find. Those will hold in our rock but if you're in doubt, squirt some thin penetrating epoxy into the holes before installing the shields. GitRot comes to mind. This stuff should penetrate at least 1/2" into the limestone before kicking off and provide a larger load bearing area.
I always test the install by putting my weight on it (200#) and bouncing, I'd prefer it to fail on me than a customer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts