Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hand tool tote is a basic McGuire Nichols without a bunch of pockets. I use a block of foam board in the bottom and basically stab in the tools. This allows more flexibility than a series of pouches, I think, and makes it easier to see the tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
thats a good move. i have 3 veto pro pacs (2 are for sale) and a few other bags that i've tried. none have them have stopped me from being a slob! i'll have to keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
28,895 Posts
I dig it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have one of those 5 gallon bucket organizers. I've been using it a few years now and I really like it. I can just toss garbage and stuff into it while I'm in the customers home (small stuff of course).

I have a 18" tool tote from Husky that I bought on sale this past black Friday. Looking at it I just can't see it being better than my bucket....

·
Registered
664 Posts
This is what I'm currently using.. It's heavy as 5hit.. I'll snap a pic of mine loaded.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Some appliances (eg. air conditioners) are packed with blocks of spongy blue foam. etc. That stuff is great for tools. In fact, I have a piece in the front seat of the van just for pens, pencils, sharpies, etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Prolly weighs 100lbs loaded. But I love my hand tools. Takes all my skinny ass has to sling it over my shoulder!

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've got a similar CLC 18" soft tote, and it's HEAVY when filled.
I've started dividing tools among smaller bags, as my old back can't handle it anymore. :(

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I used to use a bucket, and loved it for awhile. Akward to carry and then it was a pain to dig stuff out of the bottom, especially when the inside pockets were full.

I then went to the Stanely workstation on wheels. Really loved that thing. The draw back was that it fit too much stuff in it and became way too heavy to lug around up and down stairs. I loved the setup and access it afforded.

So I had to return to a good old tool bag. So I have this one for a year or so now.

Bag Bumper Tackle box Magenta Metal

·
Registered
664 Posts
Who doesn't love their hand tools....

About ready for some new carpet?
Right? I was doing some repairs at my parents... I've been trying to get them to remodel their basement since they bought the house. That carpet and ugly panel walls... 70s all the way.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
duburban said:
thats a good move. i have 3 veto pro pacs (2 are for sale) and a few other bags that i've tried. none have them have stopped me from being a slob! i'll have to keep looking.
which pro pacs are you selling?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like the foam board, great idea. I switch between a little "purse" bag and a 5gal bucket with organizer on it, depending on the job

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm happy with my Veto LC. It's not too heavy when loaded which is a common complaint with the bigger versions. If you put some thought into reducing the weight of the tools that you put in your bag, that helps too.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have veto that a carry interior finish hand tools in. and i have a large clc tote thats just stays at home

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
My hand tool tote is a basic McGuire Nichols without a bunch of pockets. I use a block of foam board in the bottom and basically stab in the tools. This allows more flexibility than a series of pouches, I think, and makes it easier to see the tools.
Nice set up,I would rather a bunch of small totes set up like than one huge one.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I use the Veto Pro XXL-OT big and heavy, but fits my drill, driver, light, PPE and a good assortment of hand tools. I can go in with one trip to most places and have all that and a two stack of sortainers on wheels under it. With that I have all those tools plus screws and bits for most occasions. Works for me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use the Veto Pro XXL-OT big and heavy, but fits my drill, driver, light, PPE and a good assortment of hand tools. I can go in with one trip to most places and have all that and a two stack of sortainers on wheels under it. With that I have all those tools plus screws and bits for most occasions. Works for me.
I use the same one. Heavy as hell but keeps me from going to the van constantly. I usually just put on my small Rubbermaid flat cart . I'm gonna set it on a scale one of these days.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is what I use for my hand tools. Best box of its type I have ever owned. I like how my 24" box level fits inside with everything. Irwins quality is top notch too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts