Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any experience hand scraping an oak floor? I am in the planning stages of building a Georgian Federal for myself and want a truly hand scraped floor. There will be about 3400 square feet of wood and want to use true 4" planks with a dark, dark stain. Any books or tips that would help will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to get some responses on the best super dark finish. My little pitbull will have the run of the place. Thanks

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have experience scraping furniture, I can't imagine 3,400 sq, ft. of flooring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flor, I am considering heading down into Ohio for a weekend to see if I can get any help from the Amish down there. If I could see it done I am sure I would be able to pass on the info to my help. Not a whole lot of info on the subject anywhere.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i hope you have alot of time on your hands.first a variety of scrapers(sizes)1/4" up to 2" shaped like a semi circle(round shovel shape sort of).use a good steel-ive seen them made out of old car leaf springs.sharpen them, you can even put handles on them for more leverage.then you scrape out the soft wood in the grain, you have to watch the direction of the grain- go with the grain.you can ease the edges of the boards a little also.experiment a little then holler at us again.have fun justin

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know a collegue who just finished a 2000 footer. He hand scraped each board before they were installed. He also used wooden dowels at the end of each plank for a more traditional look. Very time consuming but also very authentic.

Overall cost is cheaper given how much they charge for handscraped wood that's prefinished.

It obviously doesn't follow the traditional sanding process.

When staining, waterpop it so the wood takes the stain deeper.

There is a mixture of ebony and red mohogany which is super dark and usually looks nicer then the ebony by itself. I think its 3 parts ebony to 1 part red mahogany.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
K, It should be about the same anywhere, scraping is scraping. On anything, it is tedious, time consuming work. On a floor, add backbreaking. I have never heard of pre-scraping flooring or anything else, one of the ideas is to end up with a perfectly flat surface. Pre-scraping will not accomplish this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My experience besides hand scraping, is "distressing" the floor, beat it with chains, put marks in it with the end of a file, also get like a 1x2 or a few of them and put about 6 or 8 nails through it going at different angles and walk around and hit the floor with it, and when you stain those spots will be black. It simulates where a bug lived in the wood. About popping the grain, thats a good point to get darker, we like to make a mixture of 50 percent water and 50 percent denatured alcohol and apply it, not too heavy, to the floor and let it sit over night to dry good.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
adams, I have seen this done, for why????????

·
Registered
363 Posts
You got me, Like my dad said, "I cant believe someone wants to buy a brand new floor and go in there and just ruin it!".....

I had a guy that just moved from California and he said it is real popular there too, he and his wife wanted to do it in the house they bought but they decided to just get it resanded and stained. He also said he thinks its a "trend".

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'll agree with the trend idea. Trends are great for short term but I would think twice before applying it to something semi-permanent like wood flooring. A good, solid wood floor should last for generations.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hand scraped floors are not a trend. It is the way the floors were done before we had power sanders. It doesn't belong in every home, but I am building a home that will look like it was built in the 1800's and do not want a trendy prefinished bamboo. I agree with you that distressing with chains and god knows what else is wrong, but to each his own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grainy, What do you mean by "waterpop"? Did your buddy ease all edges? What size planks? I am also going to do the scraping before installing.
Grainywood said:
I know a collegue who just finished a 2000 footer. He hand scraped each board before they were installed. He also used wooden dowels at the end of each plank for a more traditional look. Very time consuming but also very authentic.

Overall cost is cheaper given how much they charge for handscraped wood that's prefinished.

It obviously doesn't follow the traditional sanding process.

When staining, waterpop it so the wood takes the stain deeper.

There is a mixture of ebony and red mohogany which is super dark and usually looks nicer then the ebony by itself. I think its 3 parts ebony to 1 part red mahogany.

·
Registered
86 Posts
water popping a floor or wood in general is using rags or sponges (we use a garden sprayer) to wet the wood so the pores of the wood open up.staining wood after water popping gives the stain a more even and richer look.we never stain our floors without water pop.you have to apply the water very evenly ,it doesnt take alot- we let our floors sit over night so the pores open completely.you also have to be carefull not to scuff the floor or walk on it with shoes or drag anything across that might reclose the pore -those areas will stain lighter than the rest. hope this helps justin
p.s. k custom are you hand scraping to get aflat floor or to get the old worn look ?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
K, I'm very aware of hand scraping with the exception of the verbage being used to describe distressed flooring. You must also be aware of the fact that when this was popular, labor was more skilled and less expensive. Today, it is falling into the 'lost art' category.

Most of the cabinetry that we do is scraped. I have 3 journeymen and each has his own apprentice. If I committed all three to your job, I would charge $1500 per day and expect them to complete about 60 sq. ft. per day. This would be AFTER having the floor sanded down with 320. You can do the rest of the math.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Teetor, I do understand that this is very labor intensive but that is the whole idea. If it was easy everyone would have it.---I think you are talking about a different type of scraping. Take a look a www.homerwood.com. They produce floor similar to what I am looking for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Justin, Thanks for the info. I did a couple of floors years ago and hit them with mineral spirits. Does this produce the same effect?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Any wood guy should take a trip to Virginia. There is a place called the BILTMORE ESTATE.
Alot of ANDERSON wood in that home, and alot of hand scraped woods.
The largest privately owned home in the U.S.
Very nice stuff

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
K, I went to the site, THIS is what you want????? Talk about mega crude! I hope that you are figuring on a refinish about every 6 mos. as the high spots wear.

I'm really suprised that the Amish are involved in this as old world craftmanship is their forte.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts