Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contacted by a customer who has 700 square feet of unfinished engineered hickory (5/8" x 7" x 1'-7' long) to be installed over concrete. He requests that I "handscrape the bevel so it looks rustic". I have never done such a task and would like the thoughts of any who have.
Thanks for your professional opinions.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
How is it going to get finished? Sanded after you scrape some bevel into it, or it is just going to remain rough?

Seems strange to me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is it going to get finished? Sanded after you scrape some bevel into it, or it is just going to remain rough?

Seems strange to me.
Thanks for replying. I was guessing the scraping should be done after sanding, but before staining. Not sure myself.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have seen a tool on a tool site once that done this. It was quite a while ago i see it but it looked like a flat bar with a kink in the end and had a hole punched in the end of the bar and you would run it down the edge and it would cut at different depths depending on what angle you held it when you pulled it toward you. Really cheap tool as well. Sorry i cant be of more help.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
There are unfinished handscaped engineering flooring available,if you can not find or to save, you can handscaped it BEFORE installing it in your shop or garage.At the other hand it looks like your client wants sanded flat top surface and just the edges handscraped;same solution,do it before installing, otherwise it is going to be inconsistent and back breaking job.
You have to experiment a little and agree with client before installing, make some samples,just scrapped,scrapped and lightly passed with sandpaper etc. Because the edges will not sanded as same as the top,stain on edges(bevels)will appear darker.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have seen a tool on a tool site once...a hole punched in the end of the bar and you would run it down the edge and it would cut at different depths depending on what angle you held it when you pulled it toward you...
Actually, thats a great tip. I think we can make such a thing from a cabinet scraper. Thanks BC!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...BEFORE installing it in your shop or garage....make some samples,just scrapped,scrapped and lightly passed with sandpaper etc...
Thanks Astor. Making various samples will probably be the key. I heard from my brother, who knows this customer, that he is prepared to pay for all of the extra hours needed to achieve a special look.
If someone is paying, I don't mind scraping. :thumbsup:
I will post pictures if it all comes together.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A hand plane would be tool of choice. I hope you are charging a mint, to do this custom, very time consuming, service.
Thanks, Floordude. The hand-plane proved to be overly 'precise'. The lack of deviation in the scrape was not acceptable to the customer. I switched to a long-handled Bona scraper and that sped up the process greatly. I will finish installing this weekend and start staining on Monday. I will post photos by next Friday.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks nice. How did you do the bevel in the end?
Thanks, BCC. I scraped the length first , then I propped the end over the side of the jig and scraped it. after that the board got rotated 180 degrees so I could do the opposite side/end. It took about 12 hours to scrape it all. I had anticipated much less.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thumps up!

Way to go TP, finished job looks great:thumbup:, satin finish poly makes floors look elegant. The bevels appears darker as anticipated. One little thing though,don't get me wrong,you should pay a little more attention on staggering,you would want to distribute ends evenly,but this is flooring guy thing,most people do not even notice.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Thanks, BCC. I scraped the length first , then I propped the end over the side of the jig and scraped it. after that the board got rotated 180 degrees so I could do the opposite side/end. It took about 12 hours to scrape it all. I had anticipated much less.

Topfloor my wifes looking for some flooring at the moment and she might like the look of that. You got any details about cost a sqft and brand of flooring that stuff is your using. We are having a nightmere finding anything nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts