Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a floor I did last year. Thought I would share some pics with you guys. It is random width bubinga ranging from 6-28" wide and most of the boards are 12' to 14' long. I hand scraped everything myself. It took forever. Black stain and gloss finish. I have a bunch of pics, but here is a sample.

Tell me what you think.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Very, very nice work! Installation details? Those are some huge planks....can only see doing that with extremely stable woods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This floor was pretty tough to do. It was by far the most intense floor I have done. None of the boards were end matched so I had to go through and square cut and router them for t&g. I spent 3 solid months just scraping all the wood.
Install was tough. If it wasn't for my festool plunge circular saw I never could have cut anything. Upstairs, the nosing for the handrail was already installed. Cutting those wide boards to match that radius took lots of care.
The home owner wanted it super black. They didn't want any red coming through which was tough to do with bubinga. I tried everything to get it dark enough for them yet still be transparent. In the end I used black wood stain from general finishes. It was better than any dye I could come up with.
Boards were wiped down with acetone before staining. Stain was applied and then topped with a few coats of high gloss poly.

I would hate to clean this floor, every bit of dirt shows up. Its what the customer wanted so I guess as long as they are happy its good!

More pictures are here:

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/gracefulpete/Hand Scrape/

Thanks guys

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nice!
I did a Bubinga bar top last summer one solid slab 2.5 in thick 3ft.x 10ft we left the bark on the edges really cool wood.
That kitchen and stair are awesome whats up with the balusters? never seen three different balusters in that pattern.
I am trim guy through and through and love those kind of jobs

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Great work

Wow!! Looks great! :thumbup:You are one lucky guy! Your client was willing to wait that long, just to get what he is looking for. Not many clients are that patient (not mine at least). Just one thing that I would not agree with the designer-nothing to do with you- is glossy floors,I think it will look better with satin finish. Once they forced me do the same thing:furious:
If you are a member of NWFA, I suggest you submit this for the yearly contest.
Your craftsmanship shows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
nice

Nice looking floor, i did a floor similar to this a cpl years back that were 6" to 18", it was awesome as is ur's, how much were the materials on this job per ft, again nice work

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking floor, i did a floor similar to this a cpl years back that were 6" to 18", it was awesome as is ur's, how much were the materials on this job per ft, again nice work
The home owner had purchased most of the flooring before I started so I can't give exact prices but only what he told me. I know the 6" boards were in the $20/sf range and for the super wide boards it was between around $40/sf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dang how many ft were there lol, i am sure ur labor wasn't peanuts either, i know mine wouldn't have been
It was a hair over 3000sf. I bid it a bit lower than I wanted to but it was still decent. If it wouldn't have taken so long I would have done much better than I did.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
You guessed it! Festool TS-55. Best purchase I ever made.
:thumbsup: I love mine too. I picked up a TS-55, 1400EQ router, extra guide rail, and a CT-22 all at the same time a few years ago....best tool purchases I've ever made outside of my Supercut.

So what was the install method? Glue & Nail?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything was scraped on a bench beforehand. The whole floor was glued and nailed down. When I say glued I mean complete coverage trowel spread Bostik's Best. I did everything I could to help minimize movement on such wide planks.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Everything was scraped on a bench beforehand. The whole floor was glued and nailed down. When I say glued I mean complete coverage trowel spread Bostik's Best. I did everything I could to help minimize movement on such wide planks.
Gotcha. That's what I figured. I bet that was aggravating as hell.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts

That is one good looking, time consuming floor. I don't think it would be gloating to give yourself a big pat on the back for that one.:thumbup:

I'd be interested to hear how well the bostiks holds those wide planks over time. I'm getting ready to lay some random width cypress in my own home using bostiks. 11" boards have me apprehensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is one good looking, time consuming floor. I don't think it would be gloating to give yourself a big pat on the back for that one.:thumbup:

I'd be interested to hear how well the bostiks holds those wide planks over time. I'm getting ready to lay some random width cypress in my own home using bostiks. 11" boards have me apprehensive.

Bostiks is by far the best adhesive I have found. Bostiks provides the best adhesion but its ability to remain elastic is were it really shines. I did lots of testing a couple years ago with various glues. I found that even a small "quarter" size blob of bostiks will require a prybar to remove a board from the subfloor. It most cases it will stretch up to about an inche before failing. When you consider how much glue you actually put down on a floor, I would be very surprised if there is much (if any) movement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts