Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past couple months my hands have bean getting more and more numb. And occosianly they go dead numb meaning i could hit my hand with a hammer and not feel a thing. i have no medical insurance at the moment, so im avoiding the Docs.
I asked my dad what he thought it was since hes had a tool pouch on a lot longer then i have. but his only remedy for anything is to spit on it, or just grit your teath till it subsides.
Im leaning towards early signs of carpel tunnel or pinched nerve. it doesnt hurt at all just numb and in both hands which makes it wierd.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
So for the past couple months my hands have bean getting more and more numb. And occosianly they go dead numb meaning i could hit my hand with a hammer and not feel a thing. i have no medical insurance at the moment, so im avoiding the Docs.
Avoiding the doc after months of this issue is not a prudent course of action.

Get some coverage then go see a doc ~ "pre-existing conditions" can be a ***** to fight ~ you had months to bank some cash for a rainy day....only you can't feel the rain now when you stick your hand out.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
bmaurice, years ago I was diagnosed with an ulnar nerve problem in the left elbow. This is usually due to some truama to the elbow and only the last three fingers go numb. Mine comes from sitting at the computer with my elbows on the desk. When I sit too long my typing ys/..,lejdudllo,.>,pe,cc.cl.peid.

Ok it's better now. The docs offered surgery with little hope that it would improve much. I refused - wear an elbow pad at the computer and 5 years later all is better - not great - just better.

What's strange about yours is the whole hand being numb. Might want to get it checked out!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn i was looking for a quick remedy with duct tape or maby WD40.
Well fridays a wash out so ill go get it checked out, thanks for the motivation guys. i hate doctors, well i think its the waiting room i dislike more but either way i hate going.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
i hate doctors, well i think its the waiting room i dislike more but either way i hate going.

I hate doctors myself and rarely every go.....the trick to a smooth visit is to get there early.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I hate doctors myself and rarely every go.....the trick to a smooth visit is to get there early.

And the first thing thay do every time is check your blood pressure.
You know it's going to be a little high,,,,,,,,
Cause your anxious to get the h*ll outa there.

bmaurice,
Locally there are free clinics that you can go to for certain things.
I think the first visit is free,but after that they refer you.
Went for stitches once,no charge!
See if you can find one in your area.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
And the first thing thay do every time is check your blood pressure.
You know it's going to be a little high,,,,,,,,
Cause your anxious to get the h*ll outa there.

I had to goto the ER for stitches in my hand one day...
Of course the first thing done was blood pressure..
And the second thing was also blood pressure...
As was the third thing :blink:

I finally asked if there was a problem with my BP...
The nurse said: Well, it's a little low for someone in your condition.

:laughing:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
i had to goto the er for stitches in my hand one day...
Of course the first thing done was blood pressure..
And the second thing was also blood pressure...
As was the third thing :blink:

I finally asked if there was a problem with my bp...
The nurse said: Well, it's a little low for someone in your condition.

:laughing:

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
bmaurice,
I was going to answer your post a couple hours ago, but got interrupted with a lead. Yipee!
I also dont have med insurance. I can afford it, but due to high cholesterol, cannot get coverage except through the state and they charge $600/mo for just me.

The bottom line is bite the bullet and go see a doc about that asap.

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
do you do a lot of typing on the computer? how about the position you sleep at night-might your arms be over/under and pinching nerves? Get it checked out but look for the things which inflame the situation and try to manage it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Damn i was looking for a quick remedy with duct tape or maby WD40.
Well fridays a wash out so ill go get it checked out, thanks for the motivation guys. i hate doctors, well i think its the waiting room i dislike more but either way i hate going.

The way I see it, if you could get those eyeballs out of your hand it might feel better:jester:.

I second the sleeping position thing.

·
Pro
636 Posts
Dad has that problem along with cold as ice hands when he can feel them. Went to a doc and he said it was likely due to years of damage to his palm and wrist from using his palm instead of a hammer. You know that last 1/4 that 2x10 needs. He never treated it, just dealt with it and quit hitting things with his hand.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have this issue, not as bad the last little while but i first noticed it at the age of 22. i think it was a pinched nerve in my elbow or something that was consttantly occuring. i would lose feeling from my elbows down and they would always be cold. when it really came an issue was when i would suddenly lose all function in my hands. this occurred while at the gym one day loading weights on a machine, suddenly i lost all use of my hand while picking up a 45 lb plate i dropped it on my foot... not fun

i think what was causing it was years of abuse from playing sports and weightlifting. playing baseball started it along with year round competitive volleyball started it then heavy weightlifting simply made it way worse. i cut back on the weights and it seemed to not be as big a problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts