Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up hand nailing , it was allot of work. Allot of people think this is the best but I have seen allot of nail pops with hand nails. Gun nails are very hard to get out because of the wire that goes in with them. You ever tried to tear off a gun nailed roof it pretty hard. Gun nailing just gets a bad name because so called roofers shoot through the shingles when it gets hot or cold, to lazy to adjust the air pressure. Or they dont want to ever have to pull there hammer out, so the keep the pressure very high. It was cool to see some of those guys rock and roll hand nailing. The nails would go in so fast they would make your eyes water trying to watch them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've torn off a lot of roofs with the old 1" pine planks with the rough galvanized hand bangers, and they tear the wood apart before they like to come out.

I think hand nailing is better, but at the same time....not really necessary.

I installed a roof right on lake Michigan 2 years ago, as close as it gets, about 20' off the shore with no bluff. Just dunes around it.

Some shingles blew off, about 3 sq worth over the year, went out, hand nailed new landmarks down, and no problems this year.

·
Roofer
681 Posts
Me and my guys hand nail full time, we actually sold/gave away the last of our guns & compressors in 03/04.
We are a low production crew tho and choose to do so as part of offering a custom roof service.

Fasteners shot down with air works as well as hand bangin when it's done properly and I know several roofers in my area who provide high quality work using nail guns.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I grew up hand nailing also, but would never do it again. Only have so much time to get the roof done anyways with these newer softer shingles. Probably the reason the guy above was told 85 lbs. With a warm day and these newer shingles, they darn near melt at 70 under your feet. The Timberlines are even worse.
Still hand nail our siding, but I feel that is necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing is that hand nails will sometimes back out mainly on plywood. The vibration of beating beside a row you just layed will sometimes do the same thing. I remember some roofs you had to check from the ground after you were done to make sure there were no High nails.

The world looks up to roofers.

http://www.exteriorexpertsofvirginia.com/ Please visit today.

·
Work too cheap
40 Posts
The biggest problem with air nailing (especially shingles) is the moron on the end of the nail gun. At the beginning of the day the nail sets fine, but by 11 or noon the temp is up and the shingles get softer and you have to adjust down the air so the nail doesn't blast through the shingle. My guys get tired of hearing me yell about check your air pressure. I've NEVER had any shingles blow off, but I've fixed a bunch.

·
Roofer
681 Posts
The only thing is that hand nails will sometimes back out mainly on plywood. The vibration of beating beside a row you just layed will sometimes do the same thing. I remember some roofs you had to check from the ground after you were done to make sure there were no High nails.

The world looks up to roofers.

http://www.exteriorexpertsofvirginia.com/ Please visit today.
Pop ups come from the installer not the method.
I have seen many poorly installed roofs with both hand bangin and nail guns.
Like quality1stconst said, it's the person running the gun/swingin the hammer that screws up.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I used to hand nail only until i started myc ompany and had a real real hard time finding guys willing to hand bang. Oh well, it's all about the installer. I have seen alot of nailing issues even when hand nailed. The roofer has to care, no matter what hsi fastening prefrence, or you'll get a chit roof.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
The biggest problem with air nailing (especially shingles) is the moron on the end of the nail gun. At the beginning of the day the nail sets fine, but by 11 or noon the temp is up and the shingles get softer and you have to adjust down the air so the nail doesn't blast through the shingle. My guys get tired of hearing me yell about check your air pressure. I've NEVER had any shingles blow off, but I've fixed a bunch.

that is exactly right
i use a staple gun to install vinyl siding,in some situations
been called a hack ect..but if your careful i feel a 16ga staple is much more wind resistant than a roofer in the slot,and the staple drives straight,and is way more consistant

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
it all comes down to the operator, not the tool or maybe the operator is a tool and that is the problem.

none of you would build your home hand nailing every 2x4, 2x10, etc thinking that this hammer driven nail is better than this pneumatic nailer.... well i take that back as some of the posts i have read have scared me.
You do fit in:laughing:

Nail guns all the way to the ridge. Ridge vents always get hand nailed...pretty easy to blow through a cap. Usually try to use the cobra vents requiring 2 1/2 nails for the caps. Guns need to be maintained and shoot a straight nail consistently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that is exactly right
i use a staple gun to install vinyl siding,in some situations
been called a hack ect..but if your careful i feel a 16ga staple is much more wind resistant than a roofer in the slot,and the staple drives straight,and is way more consistant
I am not trying to steal this thread, but how do you staple vinyl siding in such a way that it allows for expansion/contraction, or do you live in a climate that this is not an issue?
Also, the only homes I have found to have the shingles fastened with staples were trailer homes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I run a huge ele compressor about 40 gal tank i guess, buffalo pneumatic, custom air pressure sensor i had built to run between 125 and 150 lbs... i could get upto 175 i think, but why?

any how... i use makita hoses and the hitachi nailers. I was a big fan of the portercable nailer, but they are a bit high on parts. I like my makita and it nails real consistant. I rarely have to adjust my depth set, but i only install dimensionals. and i nail where it's double thick like you're supposed to. rarely do i get a blow thru... I hand banged for years, and still do as the need arises, i like the nastalgia of it. But not for makin money, tho any more i only get on 15 sq a day, and used to throw down that many by hand in my early twenties. boy the days are not as good as they once were... to be young again... just for a couple years.... id have some money to spend again!!! I even had a joist hanger gun.... Guns for money... hands for historic work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts