Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
There are a variety of pump action texture sprayers. I've tried several over the years. Getting a consistent and accurate spray is difficult. The aerosol cans are the way to go.

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thom this patch I am currently doing has the biggest droplets ever. The cans won't come close and didn't want to drag the big dog around for these little areas.

CH is it holding up for you I really haven't bought much at HF.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir that is the exact setup I use for medium patches but I am talking about door knob holes and outlet holes.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Sir that is the exact setup I use for medium patches but I am talking about door knob holes and outlet holes.
Cool, the hopper came with my RTX1000 and the compressor came with a finish nail gun and a air tool kit for $199.00. Texture Can-$12.00 Bucket of USG Green lid-$12.00 but ten times more patches than a can. Just a matter of carring the compressor in, mixing the texure and then cleaning your hopper. I'm kinda of a cheap skate though.:whistling

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
The knockdown cans do pretty good at large splatter patches. Also the oil base seems to work better. And that can stuff runs up the cost too!

I've always wanted to try that Wagner electric texture spray gun. Have any of you guys tried it or seen it? Cost around $100. Looks like a good tool for those pesky multiple small patch jobs.

Actully,I have a splatter repair job comming up next week and I may buy it to try for that. I'd prob spend $50-75 on the can stuff anyway. And I have about 12-16 knockdown patches on another job.I was going to use the horpper on that one.

I may give the Wagner a shot, unless I get some bad feedback today. I'm ich'n to pick one up and try it this morning.:w00t::no:

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Cole, guess nobody's tried that pumper your looking at. I'll have to check out carolina's harbor freight one next time I'm there.

Let us know what you ended up using.

Picked up that Wagner SprayTex (electric),could'nt resist. As soon as I get some time(never), I'll play around with it and see how it works.:party:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The knockdown cans do pretty good at large splatter patches. Also the oil base seems to work better. And that can stuff runs up the cost too!

I've always wanted to try that Wagner electric texture spray gun. Have any of you guys tried it or seen it? Cost around $100. Looks like a good tool for those pesky multiple small patch jobs.
DO NOT buy that wagner p.o.s.! We had one in a construction class i took a few years ago. It was brand new out of the box, and put away about 30 min (of swearing) later. Imagine putting a handful of mud in your mouth, walking five paces away from the area you are trying to repair, then spitting it at your target. That's a wagner.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I picked up a Homax brand pumper it has several spray tips and needle through adjust. For the $50 it worked pretty damn good. If any body gets one don't pump hard as it turns it into a squirt gun (steady strem) If you do a nice steady pump it works really well. The thing I don't like is it hold a lot of texture in the gun after it stops spraying. I would recomend it for patches though worked well once adjusted to the right settings.

Cole

http://texture.homaxproducts.com/product/48d77890-0171-431e-9fb5-164f640f75f1.aspx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't waste time w/wagner. I tried to use it for the same purpose and all I got was aggravated. I've had very good results with the Homax (home depot ) gun. This unit is cheap, has 4 tip setting,and is easy to clean. I've used it for about 4 years now. I would recommend a air pressure regulator before the gun,it gives better control. I finally got the wagner to work while messing around one day. It requires a very thin mix and only produced a ultra fine texture. It can be yours for shipping and handling. Good luck
My homax gun is a air powered hopper type. they offer ready mix texture to "load" hopper.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Had a feeling I would be returning it. Half of my receipts are return slips.:laughing: Maybe I'll take a peak at it first:001_tongue:

Cole, glad you found something to work for you. :clap:

Bconley,you are right. Warming the cans in a sinkfull of hot water works. Actually you have to do that to get them to work when they are too cold to spray especially down here in Florida the when temps dip in the 40's brrrrrrrr :santa:

Just so you guys know.........the Homax cust service rep told me when the water base spray freezes it ruins it.:w00t: Last year we had a shipment here in fla. and none of the cans in that batch would work.:sad: Thats when I switched to the oil base spray.
You guys up North use it in freezing temps is that true?:blink:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an RTX1000 but for small patches, why don't you use a sponge?
A sponge for what? Can you texture with a sponge? That's a lot of machine for the door knob hole and a toe kick hole that I fixed. 2sqf

I use a sponge to wet sand the hot mud on the patch.

Cole

1 - 20 of 36 Posts