Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After initial bull floating, do you guys get on the slab every time with a hand float, or do you just hit it a second time with a bull float?

Then do you hit it with steel before brooming to smooth it out as much as possible? Or just go right to brooming after final floating? (waiting for proper set up time between of course)

·
Registered
14 Posts
We usually strike it, jitterbug it, bullfloat a couple of times, edge expansion joints, fresno, then broom. Real large driveways we will use our walk behind trowel then broom. We do very little hand floating, mostly bull floating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I usually bull float twice and hand float the edges. Then edge and trowel all of the edges and either power trowel or use the Fresno and pole trowel. I like to get my exterior concrete close to a burn finish before brooming. I think it makes for a great looking slab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
burning a floor is just to slippery when it get wet for my taste when I did my garage floor I burned it a little bit big mistake on my part (just my opinion)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like I said we get it close to a burn but not quite then broom it. That way it looks nice and smooth but you still have some traction.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've always been told you don't want to trowel exterior concrete because it closes up and will lead to pops. We usually just bull float then broom. We will mag the edges as well. But we never trowel exterior concrete

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
ConcreteAce said:
We usually strike it, jitterbug it, bullfloat a couple of times, edge expansion joints, fresno, then broom. Real large driveways we will use our walk behind trowel then broom. We do very little hand floating, mostly bull floating.
Wow. I haven't seen a jitterbug on any concrete job in 10 years, at least. I jitterbugged the heck out of some slabs when I was a teenager, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts