Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
HVAC Technician Commercial/Industrial
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the old Titanium vs Steel threads someone was looking for someone who'd given the Titanium a fair shake and didn't like it. Here's my story:

I started out with a hand me down Granny's kitchen drawer curved claw hammer. I used it fairly often doing electrical work, but found it lacking when I got into HVAC. So I picked up a 20 oz Estwing straight claw and used it regularly for ten years. It was good for beating on ductwork and did all the part time roofing I got into.

I moved into a salaried position with my company and with that came an incentive to volunteer in the community. I'd always liked working in new houses, so Habitat for Humanity seemed like a good choice. I took my old Estwing and my belt setup of mostly worn out hand me downs and got after that. I wound up on this forum when I was looking for a new belt rig and at the same time discovered titanium hammers. After a month of internal debate, I bought 3 Stilettos. I bought the lathe axe and 12 oz model first. The lathe axe is a joy to hold and use, just a work of art. I loved the feel of the 12oz, but just couldn't get the hang of nailing with it. So of course I bought the 14, right?

I wanted to love it. I used it for weeks on the job, drove 5 pounds of nails practicing with it and just could not get the thing to work right.

I went the opposite way and bought a Vaughn 19 oz Cali Framer and their monster rig axe. I found the Cali Framer wears me out having to swing hard like the Stiletto so I broke out the rig axe. I got some funny looks but man, this is the one! I find it works my arm far less, all I have to do is pick it up and guide it down. I can drive 16s all day in three hits without getting tired, tap-whack-set. I love the flat top of the axe head for checking flush and if I need to shave that last little bit off a board for a perfect fit, I'm already holding the right tool. It's spectacular for prying tasks too, smack the blade in the gap and give it a twist. It'll pull a nail fine if you can get the notch around it.

In conclusion, I'm in love with titanium for my roofing hatchet. For framing however, give me something heavy, I sold my titanium framers.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
Couldn’t figure out how i knew that name, then it just dawned on me: Mike Holts Forum. 👍

As far as the titanium’s, I never could get used to them. I swing a 28 oz when I’m framing, and it helps to keep the arms looking good, and the wife happy. 😳🤣

I actually thing a heavier hammer is less work, IF you’ve learned how to swing it. 👍

·
Artist and not a curator
10,626 Posts
Couldn’t figure out how i knew that name, then it just dawned on me: Mike Holts Forum. 👍

As far as the titanium’s, I never could get used to them. I swing a 28 oz when I’m framing, and it helps to keep the arms looking good, and the wife happy. 😳🤣

I actually thing a heavier hammer is less work, IF you’ve learned how to swing it. 👍
It's painful watching a guy in his 30's all choked up on a long handle framing hammer trying his damndest to drive nails.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I have a habit of choking up on my hammers. Years of sideways nailing hanging vinyl. It is faster for siding.

I still catch myself doing it with my Stilletto.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
Everybody is different. Same thing with baseball bats, 50 oz bats used to make homers way back when, now they're more like 34 oz.

Heavy hammers are a different technique. You can learn to swing a 2lb axe with 24" handle one handed just fine. It's an easy swing, gravity is doing most of the work, just like with a heavy hammer.

Forearm shock is a different discussion.

·
Design Build
4,746 Posts
Ti-Bone 15 II Axe style full titanium + the M1 Martinez. I like them both. The M1 feels more head-end weighted but the handle is a bit shorter. My work flow (not daily anymore) is conditioned for the Ti-Bone. Love it.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I've been on Holt's, Electrician Talk and HVAC Talk. The last company I worked at would throw me on wiring up boiler rooms, so I joined the electrical forums to learn more as I'd only served a couple years as an electrical apprentice before getting into HVAC. Now I'm in a position with a company that encourages volunteering, so I've been working with our local Habitat crew as often as possible.

I wish framing paid what my current job does, I enjoy it far more.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'm having a difficult time not ordering one of these kinetic-customs.com hammers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having a difficult time not ordering one of these kinetic-customs.com hammers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Oh boy, I don't need another hammer to lust after.
Check out this all time great thread from a few years ago

I think that may be the thread I referenced in my OP, but I couldn't remember exactly which epic hammer thread it was where the question was asked. Someone wanted to know if anyone had given titanium a fair shake and gone back to steel. I was very excited about titanium and went through some denial when it wasn't the wonder hammer I expected.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
For a minute or two, this was available.

It seems to be discontinued, but I lusted after it for a while, and my brother bought it for me for Christmas years ago.

It's a 28oz, with a black handle and a stainless steel head. (y)

It's my everyday framer now. It's a Black Rhino.

Love this thing.

I also have a 28oz Hart framer. Original, from before they went out of business, and then sold the name to Vaughn, or whoever it was.

I spilled purple primer on it about 2 decades ago, and the stain never faded. 😥

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts