Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 16 in hammer handle too short for framing , I was looking at a vaughan home depot and i noticed it had a 16 in handle which i thought was weird for a wood handle , I havent had a hammer less than 17 inches . I looked at the estwings and they are 16 inches too

Attachments

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
my hickory estwing has a 15" handle and I frame with it 6 days a week. I like that the overall length including the head is 16" for spacing joists and other layout stuff. also shorter means it doesn't hang as low off my bags and hit my legs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
asgoodasdead said:
my hickory estwing has a 15" handle and I frame with it 6 days a week. I like that the overall length including the head is 16" for spacing joists and other layout stuff. also shorter means it doesn't hang as low off my bags and hit my legs.
ok so it is not a big deal to have a shorter handle ?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
damn that was cool , someday i will do that with my 19 oz , its easy with a rig axe . Is that a vaughan ?
It's a Craftsman, but probably manufactured by Vaughan. I never actually used a wood handle for framing, but I found it much better for power nailing than my Vaughan fiberglass.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
ok so it is not a big deal to have a shorter handle ?
Anything longer than 16" is overkill and awkward when starting nails when framing in my opinion. Anything under 14" is going to require much more effort due to lack of head speed and leverage.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
is the key to sinking them like that practice ?
Absolutely. I hadn't hand nailed to any extent for many years before we had the first CT Hammer Challenge. It took me about a month to get my hand/eye coordination and form back.

It's like riding a bike. You never forget how, but you ain't gonna win the Tour De France without some training.:laughing:

Reactions: m1911
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.