Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am this ceiling fixture, one of those "serpentine" units you can bend in curves. It had 5 lights hanging from it. They were 12v, 20 watt bulbs. EYC/CG covered glass reflectors. A couple of the bulbs were burnt out , so like "Tim Allen" , I wanted more power too. So I, YES I , put in a couple of 75 watt bulbs. In one minute the whole unit went dark. I checked the circuit breaker OK, the little 5amp fuse in the transformer case was good too. Is the transfomer burnt? Are these units that touchy ? Any help really appreciated !!! This light fixture is in my WIFE"S kitchen! help!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When you checked the fuse did you just look at it or check it with a meter? The fuse should have blown.
Yes, halogen lights are touchy.
If the fuse proves good, flick it a time or two with your finger while testing with a meter, and you have line voltage then you have smoked the transformer.
If you need more lighting, install more lights. My kitchen has 6 zones that can go from 'romantic' to 'no heat lamps needed'. Most are on controls.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teetorbilt said:
When you checked the fuse did you just look at it or check it with a meter? The fuse should have blown.
Yes, halogen lights are touchy.
If the fuse proves good, flick it a time or two with your finger while testing with a meter, and you have line voltage then you have smoked the transformer.
If you need more lighting, install more lights. My kitchen has 6 zones that can go from 'romantic' to 'no heat lamps needed'. Most are on controls.
Thanks for the reply, I did check the fuse with a meter and it was good, I amoke dthe transformer then! I lik like the idea about mutiple zones, nothing wrong with a romantic setting in the kitchen either, THANKS :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts