Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this site just a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it thus far.

I'm Guenther, owner of Ornametals in Alabama. We manufacture copper gutters and zinc gutters. It's a niche market but we know there is more potential to grow. My family has been working in copper since 1812.

Facebook and Twitter are good but this has much more applicable conversations. Thanks and feel free to shoot me a message.

Besten Dank

·
Registered
132 Posts
ornametals said:
I joined this site just a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it thus far. I'm Guenther, owner of Ornametals in Alabama. We manufacture copper gutters and zinc gutters. It's a niche market but we know there is more potential to grow. My family has been working in copper since 1812. Facebook and Twitter are good but this has much more applicable conversations. Thanks and feel free to shoot me a message. Besten Dank
I have a question for you. What causes Black spots on 6 week old copper gutters? I tried to simply rub them off with no success. It was cold and wet when they were installed. I'll try to load a picture. Thanks

Roof Sky Wood Pipe Rain gutter

Attachments

·
Eater of sins.
4,705 Posts
I have a question for you. What causes Black spots on 6 week old copper gutters? I tried to simply rub them off with no success. It was cold and wet when they were installed. I'll try to load a picture. Thanks

View attachment 108424
Exposure to just about anything. Moisture in the air, salts in water, etc.

It is called a patina and it is a very desirable thing to have on most exterior exposed copper.

At least...I think most people want that patina look.

Andy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ScipioAfricanus said:
Exposure to just about anything. Moisture in the air, salts in water, etc. It is called a patina and it is a very desirable thing to have on most exterior exposed copper. At least...I think most people want that patina look. Andy.
Patina yes, it's just real spotty now. I'm sure it will be fine with time. Thanks

·
GC/carpenter
44,205 Posts
ScipioAfricanus said:
And welcome Ornamentals and could you give CJ21 a job that he can make more than $12k/year at? Andy.
We are thy brothers keeper. :thumbsup:

And welcome, ornametals

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These guys are correct, you have patina developing. It's not a flaw but copper's natural reaction to moisture. It's not like rust but actually builds on top of it. That's why copper can last so long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts