Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of a roof that the adjuster said it is not hail damage. I know the roof has some wear and tear but that doesn't mean it should be disqualified for an insurance claim.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
MEL said:
Here are some photos of a roof that the adjuster said it is not hail damage. I know the roof has some wear and tear but that doesn't mean it should be disqualified for an insurance claim. What do you think?
Organic shingles, hard to tell from pics but probably not hail. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Not hail imo. Most all around adjusters are not smart enough and will pay out. Leaving a lot of discrepancies in a neighborhood when the storm adjusters start getting out their magnifying glass

Typically your soft metals coil stock window wraps gutters and downspouts will be damaged before the roof. And are a good indication of roof damage. I think that vents just beed handled a few too many times

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Any soft metal damage or just the shingles? Since organic shingles fail and look pretty much just as distressed I'd hope for a lenient adjuster and not be a bit surprised to be denied.

One thing I might add, the Insurer insured that roof in it's current (or within policy term) condition.

Any other damage consistent with hail would carry the damage to the roof that much further.

Oh yeah, IMO.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Roofcheck said:
Any soft metal damage or just the shingles? Since organic shingles fail and look pretty much just as distressed I'd hope for a lenient adjuster and not be a bit surprised to be denied.

One thing I might add, the Insurer insured that roof in it's current (or within policy term) condition.

Any other damage consistent with hail would carry the damage to the roof that much further.

Oh yeah, IMO.
Typically the adjuster is there to answer the following question: Will the "damage" from the storm event prevent the roof system from providing the useful life it would have otherwise provided? In this case i doubt hail damage if any is going to cause this homeowner to need to replace their roof any sooner than they would have to based on how their crappy shingle would have performed without the hail.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Oh yeah, IMO.
The aluminum siding was damaged and they agreed to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MEL said:
The aluminum siding was damaged and they agreed to pay for it.
Entire house? Or just a wall or a few panels?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
So much talk about getting the homeowner on board negotiating with the insurance company should they refuse, it is all how the claim was filed and what expectations were set with the homeowner.

Personally, I'd need a bunch more damage to push the claim further. Pissing off an adjuster on one maybe not so deserving claim can and should effect said Contractor's credibility.

OP's two photos don't show much, as to why I asked if there was more damage to be fair with this particular claim.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MEL said:
There were 2 walls damaged and they agreed to replace all because the color could not be matched.
Which walls were damaged in correlation to the roof plane? We used to have a code here that replacing a certain % of the roof and u had to do the whole thing. It was just removed from the code

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Typically the adjuster is there to answer the following question: Will the "damage" from the storm event prevent the roof system from providing the useful life it would have otherwise provided? In this case i doubt hail damage if any is going to cause this homeowner to need to replace their roof any sooner than they would have to based on how their crappy shingle would have performed without the hail.
He said they were using Haag standards and that this did not qualify as hail damage. They agreed to provide coverage, they could have inspected the property when the policy was issued but did not.

I admitted the roof was showing wear and tear but the hail caused a lot of granule loss.

This is a 2 layer roof and more susceptible to hail damage. The shingles have horizontal lines from buckling, the buckles made it easy for the hail to damage the surface of the shingles.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I respectfully disagree. An Adjuster is NOT there to determine the remaining lifespan of the roof. It IS their job to determine the value of damage, if there is in fact damage. In this case, hail damage has been connected to the siding and again, by the pictures alone I would have said I don't know leaning on the side of no.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So much talk about getting the homeowner on board negotiating with the insurance company should they refuse, it is all how the claim was filed and what expectations were set with the homeowner.

Personally, I'd need a bunch more damage to push the claim further. Pissing off an adjuster on one maybe not so deserving claim can and should effect said Contractor's credibility.

OP's two photos don't show much, as to why I asked if there was more damage to be fair with this particular claim.
The homeowner called the adjusters manager and he also denied that it was hail damage after looking at the photos.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Roofcheck said:
I respectfully disagree. An Adjuster is NOT there to determine the remaining lifespan of the roof. It IS their job to determine the value of damage, if there is in fact damage.
Thats my point. If before the storm your shingles were blistered and need to be replaced within 5 years max. And now you have slight hail damage that may cause an issue 5-7 years down the road was there really any harm done? Now i will say i have never had a siding job paid for due to hail and not been able to get the roof, even if it was depreciated 90% as was the case with this gem i got paid on

Attachments

·
Banned
5 Posts
Roofcheck, you are definitely onto something, just to expand. The insurer insured an old or in this case organic roof.
The adjuster could (hopefully) write an estimate for damages and could depreciate below the deductible or give very little which for the most part eliminates coverage issues, which opens up either the release of depreciation or appraisal. If the adjuster writes any amounts, and the insured has a Replacement Cost policy, they can depreciate 95% or whatever as long as the roof is replaced and received the total claim minus deductible. On the other hand...
The adjuster could deny based on "Wear & Tear" which is excluded. The homeowner can claim "hey, I'm not making a claim for wear & tear, I'm making a hail claim", of which the adjuster could refer to the Anti Concurrent Causation Clause. Usually a law suit or denial will prevail from that point. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The homeowner called the adjusters manager and he also denied that it was hail damage after looking at the photos.
Disclaimer. The following comments are not intended to offend.

Homeowner's typically don't know jack. As Professional Roofing Contractors it is our job to educate customers to the extent of the damage setting expectations accordingly.

If my best sales guy showed up with those two photos after being rejected by the Adjuster, said sales guy has some explaining to do and most likely some apologizing to all parties for 1. wasting everyones time and 2. affecting the professional relationship between all three parties.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Disclaimer. The following comments are not intended to offend.

Homeowner's typically don't know jack. As Professional Roofing Contractors it is our job to educate customers to the extent of the damage setting expectations accordingly.

If my best sales guy showed up with those two photos after being rejected by the Adjuster, said sales guy has some explaining to do and most likely some apologizing to all parties for 1. wasting everyones time and 2. affecting the professional relationship between all three parties.
The manager based his decision on the photos taken by the adjuster. We had the manager on a speaker phone while I was at the home. when I tried to make a case for a replacement he shut me down by saying "you are not an adjuster or a lawyer so I'm not going to discuss it with you"

The field adjusters argument was that it did not break the mat and therefore was not functional damage.

There is no way to know what the roof looked like before the hail. It's possible that all or most of the granule loss was caused by the hail.

Anyway, I don't know what can be done to get the claim approved.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts