Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last year, bought a 2012 1/2 ton silverado LTS with a 5.3 in it, 22k miles. from day one, it was freaking HORRIBLE on the mileage, performance "acceptable. i live 4 miles out of town, so the bulk of my driving i'd guess you'd say city driving. i'd reset the ave. mpg monitor everytime i refueled. would never get over 9.5-10 mpg. highway at 75 mph, about 14.
took it over to this place last week. http://www.dynotuneusa.com/DynotuneUSA/Welcome.html he reflashed it, did some tweeking and the performance is absolutely unbelieveable. 15 mph roll, throw the throttle to it, and you're sideways. so far, the truck has done the same home to town driving, and the average is at 13.3 mpg. damn near 4 mpg improvement. wonder why all manufacturers don't do this? wonder how it would do were i pulled through an emissions test now?

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
That is crap mileage. I have same truck but average around 18, have my foot in it more often than not. Do you have the 4 speed or 6 speed tranny?

You must have constant stop/ go with a really heavy foot? Is that the same tune you could have done with one if those hyper tech programmers? Nice it produced that much more power. I know mine will smoke em if I turn off the traction control, but tires for 20" rims ain't cheap.

·
Registered
318 Posts
l wonder why all manufacturers don't do this? wonder how it would do were i pulled through an emissions test now?
You answered your own question.

Volkswagon make a diesel engine, ( blue motion) that gets 70 mpg in europe. That engine is made here in the USA but not allowed to be sold here because of emmisions burned per/gallon is higher. They dont take into effect that the mileage is far superior thou... Insane!!!!

Had a buddy buy a new truck from the dealership but there was a mixup at the plant. The truck he bought was supposed to go to Australian . That truck got 8 miles to the gallon but here it was supposed to get 15 mpg. Australia had no regulation at the time.

Oil companies are in bed with auto makers. Regulations are different everywhere. Same engines but drastically different fuel mileage. Technology is there but not applied .

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
They also build the engines with head room. As the model advances they re tune and increase HP and MPG until they can't effectively get anymore out of it unless they redesign the engine lineup. use the 5.4 v8 triton as an example.

I think it started with about 230hp and ended with 320hp and a lot more TQ plus MPG increased.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
stombaugh85 said:
You answered your own question. Volkswagon make a diesel engine, ( blue motion) that gets 70 mpg in europe. That engine is made here in the USA but not allowed to be sold here because of emmisions burned per/gallon is higher. They dont take into effect that the mileage is far superior thou... Insane!!!! Had a buddy buy a new truck from the dealership but there was a mixup at the plant. The truck he bought was supposed to go to Australian . That truck got 8 miles to the gallon but here it was supposed to get 15 mpg. Australia had no regulation at the time. Oil companies are in bed with auto makers. Regulations are different everywhere. Same engines but drastically different fuel mileage. Technology is there but not applied .
That 70 mpg is prob measured in the imperial gallon though. Still good mpg but will get about 1/4th less here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That 70 mpg is prob measured in the imperial gallon though. Still good mpg but will get about 1/4th less here.
You are correct but the fuel mileage is still better by a long shot. Its just irritating to know the technology is there but our government has regulation forbidding these results in America.
In the early 70s, 454 BBC could achieve 30+ mpg with a fuel vaporizer carb. Since then additives have been added to fuel to make it nearly impossible to vaporize fuel at low tempatures. In 1977 the VW Rabbit got over 50 mpg. 37 years later, where are we?

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
dayexco said:
mine is 4wd...in florida, is yours 4wd? it'd be my guess that in itself would take a couple of mpg.
I opted for the 2x4, I have a 4x4 Yukon. But the stickers claimed same mileage both ways though. If they're accurate that is.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Unfortunately your warranty is now worthless. When you bring your truck in they will check the programming, if it has been reprogrammed the warranty is void.

With the new vehicles they have a complete record of everything program loaded in and every fault code out even if you are able to reset code it is still stored in a program that only a factory computer can erase. Only the factory guys have this computer, its not available to the dealerships.

When I brought my truck in for a recall, they even knew about my tire pressure code when I rotated the tires. My tires have different pressures front and back. Thats when the told me about having a record of everything that computer did from the time it was first turned on.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
They can't void warranty for modifications of any type. It falls under the magnuson moss warranty act. They can only deny the warranty work if they found the modification was the cause of the issue. Pretty hard for them to prove on most issues. Went to get my wife a Audi S4 last week and they had a tuned one there with a few nice mods on it. Got talking to the guy about it and he said the rest of factory warranty is still included even with the modifications and they get quite a few in with engines "chipped".

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Im planning on tearing out my ECU on my tundra as it cannot be re flashed, and put a Standalone to acheive 19MPG but its $3500 with dyno tune and i currently get 14 MPG that dropped from 16MPG for some reason.

but to answer the question why dont engines run perfect fuel to air ratio.? because if ever you run to lean (to much air) you end up burning your piston rings.

re flash does void your warranty tho, as for emissions its better as its burning cleaner
considering that the re flash was for fuel to air balance and not advance timing or other factors

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
The warranty will cover everything else except the power train. You are allowed to read the computer ( diagnostics ) not alter it ( reflash ). Read all of the warranty paperwork.

You see how much it will cost you to prove your reflashed ecu did not cause engine damage.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
rrk said:
The warranty will cover everything else except the power train. You are allowed to read the computer ( diagnostics ) not alter it ( reflash ). Read all of the warranty paperwork. You see how much it will cost you to prove your reflashed ecu did not cause engine damage.
Not true again. It's not you who has to prove anything. It's the dealer who has to prove it was the cause of the issue. Most dealers don't care what's wrong with the truck from damage you caused with mods. You install a chip and burn up your exhaust manifold they don't care about what caused it. Its a repair in their eyes and they get paid for it. My brother uses his Mitsubishi evo for track use. Has got the thing modded upto the eye balls with hardly anything stock left. Just about to stick him a boomba throttle body AMS manifold and AMS fuel rail in the post for even more power. He has messed up a lot on that car due to his track use and mods and never one denied Claim. Its currently in the shop because he has destroyed the suspension.

Read the mag moss act. It's pretty clear what it covers. Its illegal for your warranty to say mods void warranty. Of course unless it specifically caused that issue. Very hard to do.

my few dealings with it was my truck Had viper alarm installed. Shuts and opens windows with remote and phone. Window stopped working after a few months and dealer said motor had burned up due to wrong setting on alarm. Asked him if he could prove that and he said nope and he don't care as its under warranty.

Another was my induction kit burned up my exhaust on my car. Well the dealer said it did but they just put brand new exhaust system on. they even mentioned how sweet it sounded when I left with that kit on it.

You would have to have a proper tit of a service department to go to them lengths to deny them self work.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2013Warranty.pdf

Read page 12 & 13

Better yet talk to a factory warranty administrator like I did who said any ECU modification voids the warranty. It can also be a problem with the EPA regarding emissions. When it comes to large amounts of money they are careful about warranty work.

When there is a dispute over warranty work they don't just fix it and give it back to you without paying. You either pay for it and work it out later ( most likely suing them ) or they keep your vehicle until it is settled. And if you sue them they don't pay your fees either.

You know just enough to make yourself dangerous

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
rrk said:
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2013Warranty.pdf Read page 12 & 13 Better yet talk to a factory warranty administrator like I did who said any ECU modification voids the warranty. It can also be a problem with the EPA regarding emissions. When it comes to large amounts of money they are careful about warranty work. When there is a dispute over warranty work they don't just fix it and give it back to you without paying. You either pay for it and work it out later ( most likely suing them ) or they keep your vehicle until it is settled. And if you sue them they don't pay your fees either. You know just enough to make yourself dangerous
Its illegal for them to void the warranty when modding your vehicle. Read the mag moss act. It makes no difference what they say. If you chipped your vehicle and the sunroof stopped working they are not allowed to legally deny your warranty work unless the chip caused the failure. but let's say you install a chip and remove your rev limit then destroy the engine. Your warranty will def be void. Mag moss act explains all this. Installing different brand of plugs can also void your warranty if they are the cause of a failure. infact any modification of any part that's not the original can void your warranty. It all comes down to if they can prove that part caused the issue. Which as I said they rarely care anyway as its work. On the Porsche forums there was a guy who needed a new engine because he chipped it and blew it up. All they wanted was a sample of the oil from the motor to be sent for proof engine was blown. But let me say if you do have a OTT remap and cause engine damage then it is your fault and don't expect the dealer to fix it.

I will also remind you to read the mag moss act. You know just enough to be dangerous. Get your facts right.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just made round trip from south dakota to oregon. approx 3300 miles. a LOT of 75-85 mph driving. even on 2 lanes no slower than 70. round trip average was 17.03 mpg. before getting truck flashed, was lucky at those speeds before to do 14-15 mpg.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i dont know how it is now... but years ago GM had a lot of "torque management" programmed into the trucks in an attempt to prolong transmission life. typically, increasing the transmission line pressure and reducing the TM in the engine tune makes them completely different trucks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts