Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to set up this....

To take care of this....

Less than 20 years old and full of moisture.
Tear down and rebuild.
Tomorrow we'll find out how much water's in it when we demo.

I think i'm getting too old for this crap.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tim

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Thats real purty.

I would like to see a close up of your bridge and brace attachments.

The wash on the chimney looked alright, any idea what went wrong?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Nice setup, i must admit that the last 10 years or so when we need setups like that for anything---I SUB IT OUT, GMOD

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here you go dakzaag. Took three of us about 6 hours to set up.

Well here it is, 3 hours on the cap and 1 1/2 hours on the brick.
The wash on the cap was very shallow and there was a small separation between the flues and cement cap. The original maason wrapped the flues with tar paper and duct tape at the cap hieght.
No wood stove. Boiler and 2 side opening fireplace.
Subbing it out was on my mind the whole time we were setting up, but i have always found rigging a roof kind of interesting. We almost always do it ourselves. I know, kind of weird.
We usually bring the Lull for jobs like this, but the septic system was on this side of the house. Doing it the old fashioned way.

Tim

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I can't see any roof protection, but yesterdays pics showed some familiar looking rolls of something near the house.

Is that chimney supported down to the foundation? It almost appears to be a movement issue. Depth of the wash didn't look too shallow in the pics. Was it less than 4 inches?

Looks like you have it well under controll. You have my number if anything comes up you can't handle. :laughing:

Duct tape and tar paper...well I guess you could call it flashing.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Yeah very nice job there.

Where did you get the scaffold bridge setup? I would love to have something like that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the trusses are made by Bil-Jax, but i will have to double check.
I buy them, or they can be rented, from my local scaffolding supplier.
They definately make these setups a little simpler and easier.

Tim

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Let me take a stab at your questions CJ, I think the bridging is sitting on some foam or maybe carpet remnants. One of the first pictures shows some rolls of stuff laying by the house after the set-up.

As far as the back side of the chimney, you can always walk up the roof if there isn't room around the chimney. With scaffold behind you and those braces to grab, you can scale a pretty steep pitch without risking life or limb.

I like to use carpet pieces for chimney jobs, they stick and protect the roof well and are cheap and easy to pick up. I am always on the lookout for carpet scraps, 4' X 6' is about ideal size.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The putlogs are st into swivel base plates. The base plates are lag bolted to a lvl scaffold plank, which is lag bolted to to the roof joists.
I will take a pic tomorrow when we strip and you will all know what i am saying.

Thanks
Tim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts