Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do some PEX plumbing in the spring, and I've bought a few fittings, crimp rings, etc. The initial plan was to use crimp connections.

In the mean time, I found an expander tool on Ebay and bought it, thinking that "I'd really rather use that method...and there's the tool...so WTH".

And sitting here at 4am, thinking about this a little bit, I just had a '*head slap* you dumb-a$$' moment, lol.

I have the fittings for crimp connections, which I can only assume (now I realize) are smaller than fittings for expansion connections, right? :)

It hit me like a shot in the head.....because, naturally, I'd been messing around with the fittings/pipe a little bit and the fitting I have slide right in.......and that's when it.....:blink: ....they slide right in. So why would I need an expansion tool for THAT??? (this is where the head slap came in)

So I guess ultimately my question is...am I right?? Is there 2 different formats of fittings, depending on the connection method?

If so, it's too late for this job, and I guess I'll have a nice expander tool sitting in the case waiting for the next job while I crimp this job out...which isn't the end of the world, but still. Just makes me shake my head and laugh at myself.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I wanted to use Pex-a regardless, so that's what I got...just was sitting here thinking about the fittings..."expanding the pipe...........wait, why do I need to expand.....oh sheeeeeot". :)

Like I said, it's not the end of the world. I'll crimp this job out and get the right G&# [email protected]!& fittings next time :)

Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's another one for ya (or anyone else)...as I was looking around (Amazon) for propex fittings, I saw a few that were 5/8" size (so it said). Is that just the actual size of the expansion fittings for 1/2" pipe? Or was 3/4 and 1/2 not enough, and they had to add a 5/8 option in there?

IOW, is there actually 5/8" pex PIPE that one would use with 5/8" pex fittings?

ETA: Not that I necessarily want to use 5/8 vs 1/2, just curious. :)

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Like I said, just curious. I would probably never use it either. I don't really see the point in having an 1/8 fraction in there. If 1/2" just absolutely won't work...why not just use 3/4"..............................but anyhow, that's just my opinion.

Thanks again for all the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts