Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever worked on a habitat house? A friend and I are thinking about doing one in the spring. Niether of us have worked on one, I'm just looking to get some more info.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Habitat Housing!

Is This part of the Builders Blitz, 1000 home in a week? I was reading something on this in Builder Magazine. I thought about being part of this history making event!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm starting in on #7 soon.
I really enjoy it, but I'm a hands on kind of guy and I'm not the boss for once. You will meet many interesting people and some will become friends and customers.
I usually can show up with 3 trucks, 6-10 talented people and professional tools. The paper always does a piece (free advertising if your trucks make the photos) and it's a tax deduction. You will be working with bankers, attorneys, grandmoms, the new home owners, you name it but the atmosphere is all positive. Someone is getting a new home who couldn't otherwise afford it.
Try it, I think you'll like it. If you don't, nobody will say anything if you leave.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So who runs these jobs? (I.E.- Who's going to be telling me what to do?)
I understand there is usually both talented and not so talented people working there, I assume they at least have a good guy running the crew?

Also, its all hand nailed, correct? Does that include the trim? My friend has a lot of framing and finish experiance, while I know more about finish then rough. I have no problem banging nails all day while framing, but once it becomes time to trim, that could be a real pain. Maybe I'm just stubborn/spoiled, I know a lot of people still hand nail finish work. I come from a production trim backround where there just isnt time for that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts