Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the state cares "so much" about consumer safety then why do most states have H.O. Waivers to do their own inspected electric ??

Kelly La Rue
I was called to a house to inspect the wiring of a dryer because the homeowner was killed trying to hook up his dryer. There were two problems, one the homeowner wired up the dryer himself and two, the so called electrician installed the receptacle with no ground. The real problem was the receptacle because had it been installed with a ground as soon as the homeowner plugged in the dryer the circuit breaker would have tripped thus saving his life. Of course doing his own wiring was foolhardy.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
If the state cares "so much" about consumer safety then why do most states have H.O. Waivers to do their own inspected electric ??

Kelly La Rue
I was called to a house to inspect the wiring of a dryer because the homeowner was killed trying to hook up his dryer. There were two problems, one the homeowner wired up the dryer himself and two, the so called electrician installed the receptacle with no ground. The real problem was the receptacle because had it been installed with a ground as soon as the homeowner plugged in the dryer the circuit breaker would have tripped thus saving his life. Of course doing his own wiring was foolhardy.
It sounds like the problem was with the electrician, I am not aware of any state that requires an inspection on dryer cords that anyone whether it is an electrician or a homeowner.

I think the reason the states allow property owners to work on their own property is because of private property rights, we are still a free country (sort of) and any permits that are pulled by the homeowner, still has to be inspected and meet code.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
It is an inalienable right of every patriotic, God-fearing American to kill themselves in whatever manner they deem fit.

Reactions: john5mt

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
here in Albuquerque, for the HO to do electric work, they must talk to the electrical inspections division head and pass his test, then they can pull a permit.

A permit would be required for the circuit and receptacle but not for the cord installed on the dryer.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
Not really, ask jack kevorkian.......
What the HO would be doing in this case as asking Jack to commit a crime. Jack is not killing himself by whatever method he deems fit, he is assisting others in the act.

However, we're getting a bit too political for the thread now.

Although I will maintain "a man's home is his castle" and he should be able to do whatever he wants in or to it, what I have problems with is if he kills himself, he may well take his unsuspecting wife, innocent children, the dog, cat, hampster & parakeet along with him. And maybe even his next-door neighbor.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Kelly La Rue
Not necessarily so. Electrocution can occur at 150mA. Breaker at 30A.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts