Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he answered my ad on craigslist .
a guy in his early 30`s, lots of tats ( which i don`t care about) ,
he just drove into miami last night. showed up with an extension ladder , and a huge storage box attached to his chevy malibu.
he was pretty enthused , said he really felt i could make him happy, said he really wanted me to try him out . overly polite , and over-trying with each sentence.
every text was like a full page.
when he talked he used his hands like a rapper , which he said he was an aspiring rapper later on in the talk.
walked to his car , wife was with him , there was only room for them to sit in the car , all possessions in it .
PLUS 2 CATS!
at first i told him to come tomorrow.
but then as i talk to my wife about it , she said " so , you realize, they don`t know anyone here , and the wifes gonna be in the car on your site all day long too. and 2 cats "
i texted and gave him an excuse not to come , that the position is filled .
for some reason , i feel a little bad ,
they probably need the $$.
but i just didn`t want all that burden or possible drama

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,438 Posts
I'm told...you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I dunno.

Every heart-string says give him a little chance.

Every brain wave says...nope, stay away.

One day of paid (cash) trial can't hurt...right?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Never know could be a gem , I've heard these stories go both ways.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Custom
12,727 Posts
The wife doesn't drive? I doubt she'd want to hang out at a jobsite all day...

If they indeed just rolled into town, don't know anyone and had all their possessions in their car and trailer, and he's looking for work right off the bat, that all seems to make sense... if it's all true...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
So you said to show up and then you said not to.

Do what you say you are going to do.

Is your wife okay with you not keeping your word?

Maybe rapper could do better as well? With someone who does what he says he will do.

- If the guy doesn’t know what he’s doing, that will soon become obvious.

- If the guy has substance issues, that probably will become obvious as well.

- If the guy is good, he can tell him she can’t stay on the job site, she probably wouldn’t anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
Sounds like a tweaker.

Prolly woulda jacked all your $#{ the first day and been gone.

Next.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Man, y’all can be tough. Put yourself in his shoes. Make a decision and stick to it. (My wife doesn’t get to say a word about who I have to spend my days with)

I like to offer a days work for a days wages IN CASH. He could be perfect or a hot mess. No risk no reward.

You offered an honest days pay for an honest days work and he showed up. (Tattoo on a construction worker 🥱, you might be disappointed when you ask for his PhD) Most loyal and hardworking help I’ve ever had has a 12 inch skeleton MIDDLE FINGER on the inside of his forearm.

Also, FFS, what did you expect from Craigslist? Try indeed.

·
Super Moderator
26,462 Posts
That would of been real simple for me. Be here at 7 and the wife is going to have to go elsewhere- everyday. Theres a nice beach right up the road

This is a place of business, leave your personal life at the curb, be on time, do what I tell you when i tell you to do it and well get along just fine, amigo. Pay every Friday morning

PS cat people.... just saying

·
Registered
FL CGC
12 Posts
One of the better carpenters I ever worked with was working with us for an entire year out of the labor pool. He lived in a pay-by-the-day hotel in a bad part of town. We tried and tried to give him a full-time job and the commensurate raise that would come with it. He was "flying below the radar" for some reason and claimed he was perfectly happy with the arrangement he had. Dude showed every day and got after it, so whatever his personal problems might have been, he darn sure could produce at work.

Of course that's the exception, not the rule. But you never know. I've had some interesting cats out of the labor pool over the years.

·
Registered
FL CGC
12 Posts
That would of been real simple for me. Be here at 7 and the wife is going to have to go elsewhere- everyday. Theres a nice beach right up the road

This is a place of business, leave your personal life at the curb, be on time, do what I tell you when i tell you to do it and well get along just fine, amigo. Pay every Friday morning

PS cat people.... just saying
Cat people ;). If he'd showed up with his two pitties on-board, I'd have hired him just on principle.

·
Super Moderator
26,462 Posts
Never hired a good tradesman from any ad. I've hired laborers like the guy described (short of living in a car) and a couple were ok. One is a leas installer for my roofer now.

The best laborer I've had in last 6 years was a 63 year old man, no skills just a hard worker. Recovering drunk. Dude could get after it. I posted about him 4 years ago when I did a gut reno on the big showroom in town. Dude chipped up tile and hauled buckets of debris for days on end. I paid him about 35% more than anyone on that demo and was sorry to see him go, he had a landscaping type business that kept him fairly busy, he was just filling in dead time

Out worked all the early 20 guys 2/1

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Otoh I’m not knocking the guy looking for work as I stated before. The mid 80s crunch had me sleeping in my to be repossessed truck far away from family & didn’t know anybody around. Darn sure woke me up. The guy very well could have been a good hand. I’ve traveled the country chasing work & have seen it all. Anybody in the construction field who hasn’t smelled pot in the air or tweaked doing the St. Vidas dance have had blinders on

Mike

·
Super Moderator
26,462 Posts
Otoh I’m not knocking the guy looking for work as I stated before. The mid 80s crunch had me sleeping in my to be repossessed truck far away from family & didn’t know anybody around. Darn sure woke me up. The guy very well could have been a good hand. I’ve traveled the country chasing work & have seen it all. Anybody in the construction field who hasn’t smelled pot in the air or tweaked doing the St. Vidas dance have had blinders on

Mike
Heard that was a rough time, my grand dad said it was worse than 2009-2011, he didn't sell a significant job for over 2 years, and was paying bills doing repairs until he somehow got on doing mud work for a huge hospital in the valley, and followed thst GC for a while doing all kinds of stuff. Othwr than carpentering on the Lakeland Mall (old HEB building) and a few others for Allan Edge he only worked for himself for 50 years other than that time.

I'm not good at spotting drug users, and can't smell due to a few misunderstandings, my brother is better. I like to think they had drug school in his college curriculum but maybe that was his frat 😆.

He called one guy as a tweaker a number of years ago and I didn't believe him because he seemed fine to me and did like we told him but he was right. He fell out running wires (for a sparky, on the weekend not for me) in an attic and had rabdo in his blood and the dr let slip he was the Methamphetamines, and that played a part in the heat stroke. That chit is a curse. Granite Shoals has gotten cleaned up with the new police cheif but tons of meth got pumped out of there for years. Sick

1 - 20 of 59 Posts