Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

My family and I have been in multiple forms of construction for as long as I know, ranging from simple home remodeling to large scale construction work and equipment operation. I have personally worked as a mechanic, laborer, and equipment operator from my teen years through college with a short stint in the Army dropping the hammer rather than lifting one. After college I started a desk jockey job in computer programming, and have only been doing remodeling work on my personal, friends or family members homes on the side for the past 11 years.

However, I am thinking about getting back into the a more hands on career. I will post other questions or threads on how to get back into it, but this is just an intro.

My past experience (actually paid construction type work):
-- 2+ years as an EPA certified mechanic and worked in HVAC repair and installation work. Mostly work in the food industry building walk-in freezers and other commercial kitchen equipment repair. I got a lot of electrical and plumbing experience here, plus all the vent and sheetmetal work and all the other HVAC related basics (system sizing, layout and repair type things). My sister and husband were the owners of the largest food equipment service company in 3 states and they sent (paid for) me to night school for HVAC before I even got to my senior year of high school, a lot of this work was nights, weekends and summer (except for the occasional days I plaid hooky from school to get paid for installing a freezer or something that required additional help, :whistling ).
-- 1+ years laborer/framer in concrete work: working on everything from retaining walls, pads, foundations, drive and walkways, and even multi-story parking structures. Mostly did layout, form framing, and steel work, and actual pour and vibrate the concrete, not normally the finish work unless it was a brush or rough (bare) finish job.
-- 2+ years laborer and equipment operator for masonry work. Hauling and moving block, brick, and stonework on anything from garages to schools, polices stations and a few other government contracts, included erecting scaffolding, making the mud (either by had or with a mixer) and delivering it (either by hand or machine). I also got very good handling material with JCB Telehandler’s (used multiple ranging from 520’s-540’s) and was known to place material on 3 story scaffolding so gently that the guys working the walls were still calling for more material when it was right next to them, lol. I still give my brother, a 12+ year veteran mason, crap about a couple times he was showing off for the other guys on the wall and yelling down at his older brother (the college boy) and I would tell him to turn around and look next to him.
-- 1+ years laborer and equipment operator for demo jobs these were some of the most “fun” jobs I ever got paid for, I am not sure what I liked more, tearing stuff up or running the machines. Most of my time was on the machines, but breaking down walls made the day go by super quick. :thumbup:

When I was getting ready to graduate college, and had my first corporate job lined up the construction company I was working for was trying to keep me on offering me a position as a foreman, since I acted as foreman and proved myself on some of the smaller jobs, but I was in search of what I thought was the "better life" working in an office environment and turned them down. Looking back not sure why I thought that. :no:

Since then and starting my other career I have done home improvement work from full house gutting and remodeling my current 100 year old house (seriously full gut, only exterior brick walls and original beams were there at one point, and I did everything from plumbing, electric, HVAC, and framing, insulation, drywall and paint) to helping friends or family work on their house (anything from concrete work to just helping move a wall or soldering pipes for a kitchen renovation). I get soo much more fulfillment working on houses and building (and destroying) things that my wife and I are thinking about a lifestyle and career switch, where I go from a 9-5 office job to getting back into starting my own small construction business. Like the title says, I think I am going through a mid-life crisis. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was typing that up then when I proofread it I realized how long it was but couldn't figure out what to cut out and still show why I might be allowed here.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Welcome--My eyes glazed over after the first few paragraphs---but that's okay---I have a short attention span----Join in and have fun---Mike----

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
This is not your midlife crises, this is early stage of depression.

Midlife crises the work is the last thing on your mind... This is when you go out and get yourself a Porsche or a Harley, nice big tattoo, jumping out of an airplane, shacking up with some girl in a hotel someplace in the Caribbean while your wife thinks you at the Builders Convention etc. not that's Midlife crises.

What you going through it sounds like you need a shrink, snap out of it, will you, take a vacation and enjoy life... screw work :laughing:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
, shacking up with some girl in a hotel someplace in the Caribbean while your wife thinks you at the Builders Convention etc. now that's Midlife crises.

What you going through it sounds like you need a shrink, snap out of it, will you, take a vacation and enjoy life... screw work :laughing:
I love conventions and work retreats.
midlife crisis till i die

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All I have to say is, Rebuilding your own home as a DIY'er is miles away from doing this for a living. Not even close. Think about it some more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts