Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I've never thought about before: when rain runs off a roof into gutters, does it splash back up much? Do ya'll ever do anything special to protect roof decking where the bottom side is exposed between the fascia and the drip edge?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure as to what your asking then considering a gutter is put on & then flashing is installed into the gutter & under the roof. What at this point is exposed? Please explain.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I guess I don't understand either. There should be no exposed roof decking anywhere if proper installation of the gutter and drip edge was installed. There should be no exposure of fascia at all. When applicable, the gutter should be installed under the drip edge so the drip counter flashes it and does not allow moisture down the fascia boards. If that is not applicable, we always require some type of slip flashing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeap, You have to install flashing, apron whatever you call it at every job.

-Note to roofers.

Why do you install drip edge in places you know are getting gutters? My contractors do that constantly and I just don't understand it. I tell them that I rip it off anyway.....

Just curious, maybe there is a reason.

Ryan Grambart
Grambart Exteriors, LLC
www.grambartexteriors.com
320-237-7001

"Specializing in Seamless Gutter installation in Central Minnesota"

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeap, You have to install flashing, apron whatever you call it at every job.

-Note to roofers.

Why do you install drip edge in places you know are getting gutters? My contractors do that constantly and I just don't understand it. I tell them that I rip it off anyway.....

Just curious, maybe there is a reason.

Ryan Grambart
Grambart Exteriors, LLC
www.grambartexteriors.com
320-237-7001

"Specializing in Seamless Gutter installation in Central Minnesota"

Building codes here dictate the use of drip edge at the eaves,I don't recall any codes for gutter installations.

I haven't seen any of the local gutter installers using any kind of flashing or apron.Could you post a pic of what you use?

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
Z

We sometimes flash the gutters with the Z flashing you get for installing between the lifts of T-1-11 ply siding panels. It's maybe an inch up, half inch out, half inch down. Tuck under the drip edge and out over the gutter. A few aluminum trim nails through the drip holds it. It's a workaround and a pain to install after the gutters, but otherwise they often drip between fascia and gutter.
As for exposed sheathing, we try to end the sheathing flush or behind the fascia so nothing is exposed. Old timers here used red cedar shingles for a drip, but sometimes they didn't outlast the composition roof.
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts