Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to repair seams on a copper half-round gutter. Because copper has so much thermal expansion with heat and then quick cooling from storms is there a specific liner or coating recommended to assist the solder?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
+
expansion joints are used in built-in copper lined gutter systems.

you design the location and construction of the expansion joints at the time you design the trough system.

1/2 Round and K style is another matter. I am not personally aware of any used for those types of systems. We work primarily on 1910's and 1920's Tudors and Georgians--------- the Tudors usually have shorter runs of 1/2 round----- I think we can get 1/2 round copper from Berger in excess of 30 feet so straight runs are not a problem. I

your problems are probably with the miters?- I have never really noticed a problem with the miters- but with us a miter corner is usually a long ish leg and a fairly short leg--- so minimal problems because the strap hangers will allow a lot of movement-as do the Gem circle hangers.

To long runs with a mitered corner- I would probably rivit the top of the back edge and the back of the front bead where they won't be seen and then solder.

the Georgians are usually a built in copper lined pan system.

there is a guy who is occasionally on this forum called seeyou who could REALLY help you out much more with this than I ever could.

As you can tell by his screen name ,he specializes in copper work.

also- if you google "slate roof warehouse" you can go on an online forum with a lot of guys who regularly work with these materials and they may be able to help you further. We buy most of our flux/solder,slate accessories etc. there.

Stephen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts