Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for advice about downspouts on this project. We're adding the landing and stairway on the house in the plans. It includes extending the eave out about 3 feet, over the landing. The roof is 3/12, shingled. The gutter previously ran uninterrupted the full length of the house, with a single downspout just left of the landing. There's no problem with the gutters from the left section or the new, extended section. But what to do with the downspout from the newly detached right-hand section, above the stairs? Options:

1. Run the downspout from the right-hand end of the gutter section and discharge onto the walkway. I don't like discharging the water right onto the walkway that leads to the front steps, though.
  2. Drop downspout anywhere in the left-hand part of that section, put it into the wall, then bring it out under the steps. That will be expensive and include messing up the stucco in that area. I'm trying to avoid needing to patch isolated areas of the stucco.
  3. Downspout at the left end (of the right-hand section) with elbow immediately to bring the water above the top of the stairway and then down outside the landing. I don't like the idea of the downspout across the top of the stairway. It will be visually ugly.
  4. Miter the gutter and run it downhill across the fascia of the new 3' rake, and join it with the gutter at the new eave for the landing. I'm not thrilled with down-hill gutters.

Any ideas or comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Bob. How much higher is the right side roof above the center one? Could you make the middle gutter longer and elbow the right side gutter directly into the middle one? Maybe mitre the middle gutter like you said and run a piece straight across and drop the one into the other? Hard for me to see whats going on without a side view. Hope this makes sense. I'd rather have the top look a little out of the norm than an elbow running around the stairs

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bob. How much higher is the right hand roof above the center one? Could you make the middle gutter longer and elbow the right side gutter directly into the middle one? Maybe mitre the middle gutter like you said and run a piece straight across and drop the one into the other? Hard for me to see whats going on without a side view. Hope this makes sense. I'd rather have the top look a little out of the norm than an elbow running around the stairs
Right now it's all just one roof surface. The plan is confusing, because it seems to show separate surfaces. The new work simply extends the eave out 3 feet in the center area. Here's an elevation:

Attachments

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
so if its going to be 3 feet further out im thinking an elbow and leader in same color run directly along the rake into the middle one would prob be easiest and neatest I think. The middle one would have to be a little long on the right side Im looking for a pic of something similar that we have done

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe discharge downspout into a rain barrel on right side
Thanks, it's an interesting idea, but wouldn't work in that location - the rain barrel would be in the way of foot traffic. The other thing is that rain here is all-on or all-off. It usually doesn't rain here even once between May and November, and in the winter, it's soakers that would fill the barrel to overflowing very quickly.

Chasing that idea a little, though: if drought conditions seem ready to settle in for a while around here, it will be interesting to see if people start springing for cisterns - a nice 5000 gallon tank under the back yard could keep some front landscaping alive through a dry summer. A number of local towns started mandatory water-rationing programs today.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Would a straight apron roof return over the top of the stairs kill the look? Rather than the gable. Then you drop a short pipe into a wrap around gutter and dump it in the middle section .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
another way ive seen it done is a hole in front of gutter next to end cap and the leader coped then sealed to the gutter and run along the rake into lower gutter.. Elbow might cause it to hang too low..
Thanks, that may be my approach. Any final thoughts about whether a 3' down-hill gutter section would be an abomination?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would a straight apron roof return over the top of the stairs kill the look? Rather than the gable. Then you drop a short pipe into a wrap around gutter and dump it in the middle section .
Thanks, that's a good thought. We're already pushing it on height at the top of the stairs, and it would mess with the location of a light, too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked, but I'm getting into homeowner/DIY obsession/overinvestment territory. I'll post pictures when I'm done - might be a week or two out.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
sorry if im putting too much thought and input.. I don't really have anything to add in the drywall or plumbing forums. lol. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
sorry if im putting too much thought and input.. I don't really have anything to add in the drywall or plumbing forums. lol. Good luck with your project
I'm 100% grateful for any advice and feedback anyone provides, and I wouldn't ask if I didn't need the help. I'm just laughing at myself.

- Bob

Edit: And as anyone knows, the original poster doesn't own the thread. I post lots of times when I think I have something to contribute to a later reader, maybe long after the O.P. has been banned for life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts