Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys charge to clean gutters? We have added this service as part of our exterior painting service, when a customer has terribley dirty gutters we offer to clean them while we are up there. Most people are more than happy to pay us to do it unless they own an extension ladder and plan to do it themselves. So far I have just been charging them for our time.

Grumpy,

We are in the same general part of the world and I noticed on your website you offer this service. What do you charge? Is it a straight linear foot pricing or are there dificulty factors you add for? Height I would imagine adds a little something as well.

Thanks, everyone, for any input in advance.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Minimum of $100 period. This would be for a 1 story ranch with an easily walkable roof and with in my primary service area. I always try to get $150, but often give discounts and coupons. A good rule of thumb is to charge $1 per linear foot of gutter and throw in the downspouts for free.

Bottom line is on the unusual stuff it comes down to time. If a roof is walkable I can clean the average sized house myself in 30 minutes even if the gutters are totally clogged to the max. I use an electricians fish tape to clean out the down spouts, about 5 minutes each downspout.

The other day I bid $350 for a gutter cleaner. The roof was a steep cedar roof and had lengths all over the place, truly a cut up roof. I estimated it would take two men a half day to clean because of said ladder moving. I felt like this was a GREAT deal and I gave the price I thought was low because they are literally a 1 minute drive from my office and 3 minute drive from my condo. Wouldn't ya know she found someone to do it for $100? Even after I explained insurance etc I got this: "We just moved into the house and are trying to keep maintenance costs low." To which I responded you can lose your new house if the worker falls off the ladder. Isn't that peace of mind knowing your covered when you hire us worth the extra $$$?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
she found someone to do it for $100? Even after I explained insurance etc I got this: "We just moved into the house and are trying to keep maintenance costs low." To which I responded you can lose your new house if the worker falls off the ladder. Isn't that peace of mind knowing your covered when you hire us worth the extra $$$?
Its a shame. A lot of people just don't get it.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ahhh I didn't mind losing it to be honest. I only do gutter cleaners so we get name recognition with the customer and hopefully we can point out a few things wrong with the roof or siding or whatever. If the house is brand new... I have to wait what? 10-15 years before they need me? It's better to let someone else mess with it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, maybe one of those cleaners on TV for $19.95 might make you a fortune. LOL

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teetorbilt said:
Grumpy, maybe one of those cleaners on TV for $19.95 might make you a fortune. LOL

It really works!!! And for the fraction of the cost of hiring a professional!!! BUY NOW BUY NOW SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!!!

i couldn't resist...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
But wait! That's not all! Think of how you would look cleaning your gutters in these specially made gutter cleaning shorts!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here in New England if you let the gutters go long enough before cleaning, you will often have little maple trees that start to grow in them. :cheesygri

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cubevan said:
Here in New England if you let the gutters go long enough before cleaning, you will often have little maple trees that start to grow in them. :cheesygri
yep that happens here too... silver maples.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Cubevan said:
LOL I have cleaned quite a few gutter gardens myself :) For some reason when ever I do that my hand break out with a rash. Not on all gutters but where there is inches of mud and muck with growing crap in it, it a guarantee.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Down here we get whatever species that the wind or bird can deposit. Ferns and Brazilian pepper trees are popular.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gutter Cleaning Estimate

I have been charging a minamum of 150 on a one story walkable but if the customer has manicured lawn and wants the debris removed add atleast 50. I try to top off at about 350 on residential work. Often I recomend to install gutter guards at a additional cost to keep the customer from reacurring cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gutter vac

hi im looking to buy a decent gutter vac with poles here in the uk ive been having grear dificulty finding a supplyer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts