Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I do half a dozen gutter cleanings for my painting customers, usually high and awkward jobs. Change of pace, don’t mind doing them. Would not want to make a living at it.
On exterior whole house paint jobs we clean out the gutters and get them flowing as part of our prep. Seems right.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I literally made my first million dollars as Gutter Cleaning Pro’s LLC. Then, after five years I sold it for a nice chunk of change. Then I blew it, but that ain’t the point.

Next time put some type of limit on the coupon.... like: $95 for houses up to 2000 square-foot.
Add a free roof inspection and charge a minimum of 99 for anything! Pictures sell roof repairs.
Pay special attention to the pipe flashings, chimney flashings and ridge cap shingles above trim/rake boards.
If you get talked into “resealing” a leaking corner don’t dare warranty it, they always leak again it’s only a matter of weeks or months.

Oh, try to positive, it’s a crappy thankless job with zero gratification.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,606 Posts
I literally made my first million dollars as Gutter Cleaning Pro’s LLC. Then, after five years I sold it for a nice chunk of change. Then I blew it, but that ain’t the point.

Next time put some type of limit on the coupon.... like: $95 for houses up to 2000 square-foot.
Add a free roof inspection and charge a minimum of 99 for anything! Pictures sell roof repairs.
Pay special attention to the pipe flashings, chimney flashings and ridge cap shingles above trim/rake boards.
If you get talked into “resealing” a leaking corner don’t dare warranty it, they always leak again it’s only a matter of weeks or months.

Oh, try to positive, it’s a crappy thankless job with zero gratification.
I never would have thought to start a gutter cleaning company but I know guys who started pressure washing company's who are killing it. I'm not saying you can't make money at it, I'm saying advertising a $95 for a job that is at least 2 hours and possibly 8 hrs is a crazy thing to do for existing clientele. You don't want people thinking your services are worth less then 50 bucks an hour do you?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Gutter cleaning is a chore that I have to do for the in laws several times a year but it’s an easy job to do with the leaf blower. MIL won’t let him use the ladder anymore. I don’t know what the roof pitch is but it’s not very steep so it’s not hard to walk on. FIL was giving me chit when I put gutter covers on my house. Him “ Just get up there with the leaf blower like I do. “ Me “have you not noticed that my roof is a lot more steep than yours” and higher too
I have a section of rain drain with two 90* elbows on the end, so it turns back along the pipe.

It slips over the nozzle on my backpack blower.

Works good. Hood up, walk under the gutter, and blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Doesn't that make a mess on the ground?

Most people don't want that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,213 Posts
I don't clean gutters. But when I do, I take an old drywall bucket up the ladder and scoop the glop into it. Keeps the landscape clean and shows the HO what he paid for.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
For $95 bucks I can’t imagine anyone is expecting more than a guy walking around the roof with a leaf blower, maybe a quick raking around house.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Doesn't that make a mess on the ground?

Most people don't want that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yes, it does. But I would rather clean up leaves off the ground then scoop off of a steep pitched roof.

I am doing one next week.

Unoccupied, cleaning it up for sale.

I’ll have the realtor call the yard guys when I’m done. They need to clean the yard anyway.

Generally I’ll scoop from the top, just depends on the pitch. I just about never clean gutters off a ladder.

Then I’ll blow and often Hose them out.

If it’s occupied, I’ll find out if and when their yard guys come, and then do it the day before. They pick up whatever I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,367 Posts
We hire gutter cleaning out for our preventative maintenance program. Once had a gutter guy blow, scoop and toss at one of the properties.

That evening, a helper and I were out power washing the sidewalks, driveways, bottom side of the gutters, fascia and some of the siding. I also had to give him a car wash card to get the Mercedes cleaned.

We're much clearer on our expectations of how gutters get cleaned today.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts