Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
General Contractor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed this to my customers 2 days ago and today I have 8 cleanings. Nice little chunk of change. FALL SPECIAL blank.jpg

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would love to hire you.

You may not be banking quite as much as you think.

Best case, one job per hour. Reality, not so much.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but Would you prefer being busy over being profitable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I agree it is pretty low.

However, If you are using it as an advertising method, then I get it.

If you are hoping to make a living at that rate, you need to hustle. 3 or 4 a day minimum, more is better.

Also, a single story 2 sided ranch is a lot different than a 1 story front, three story back with dormers and pop outs galore on a hillside. Or a tile roof, or a metal roof you can't walk on in the rain.

Lots of variables.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
(y)I read it as 8 jobs in one day at a special price of $95 each. Seems like a winner to build a client list.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
That would be the way to look at it. I've done more for less.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
unless they are very close together that is a lot of running around. The largest gutter cleaner in my area charges 150 for 2 guys who fly around the house and are usually seen standing IN the gutter. They spend about an hour a job.
Their insurance must be astronomical and thier OHSA bill is in the 8 figures since they are repeat offenders

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
When I first started out on my own I advertised in the local paper for gutter cleaning $110 per single story house. This was 15 years ago. Me and a helper. I stayed busy and made surprisingly good money. Also made contacts with all sorts of property owners who always asked what other services we offered.
I still view it as a good way to start generating revenue quickly while building a client base.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,665 Posts
When I first started out on my own I advertised in the local paper for gutter cleaning $110 per single story house. This was 15 years ago. Me and a helper. I stayed busy and made surprisingly good money. Also made contacts with all sorts of property owners who always asked what other services we offered.
I still view it as a good way to start generating revenue quickly while building a client base.

Yup, I don't do it very often now but when I first got started, a lot of work came my way from cleaning someone's gutters.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
1 story house is extremely rare around here, most are 2 or 2 with dormers. Imagine going though what Mike went through for $95, I realize it does not happen often but I know the main company here has had it happen many many times. Each one now is a $100k OSHA fine.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,563 Posts
Fellas, he sent it to an existing customer base. This is not a marketing piece. I'm ok with staying in touch with the base, but there has to be a better way than gutter cleaning.
Yep. Send them a Christmas card if you want to make an impression, it'll cost less.

Doing that for an existing base is basically suicide and devaluing your services. That is the beginning of the race to the bottom if those are existing clients. If it was to get a foot in the door and upsell more things, totally different story.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
It's Autumn....you're outside in the fresh air...socially distant from the customer for a change, and not much thinking involved. Sounds blissful.

Harumpf. Harumpf.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I now have visions of those leaf filter commercials, where a puff of breeze gently blows the dry leaf off the gutter guard on the single story home. 🍃

·
spazman
703 Posts
Gutter cleaning is a chore that I have to do for the in laws several times a year but it’s an easy job to do with the leaf blower. MIL won’t let him use the ladder anymore. I don’t know what the roof pitch is but it’s not very steep so it’s not hard to walk on. FIL was giving me chit when I put gutter covers on my house. Him “ Just get up there with the leaf blower like I do. “ Me “have you not noticed that my roof is a lot more steep than yours” and higher too

1 - 20 of 34 Posts