Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has some land near a lake, that has been empty for almost 20 years.

My father always wanted to build a small house on the land, but he abandoned the idea. I figure I can pick up where he left off and build a small cottage for family use.

I found this http://chp6.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-936&FoundID=1&sid=chp1 house plan. The web site says expect to spend $95k to build it.

What do you think I could be looking to spend to build a house similiar to the URL above?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Custom home rates around here are anywhere between $80 - $170/per SF. But I would say $100 would be a safe guess.

So yes, $95K sounds about right if you keep it simple.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I plan to be the general contractor. I don't have enough skill to actually do it myself.

The framing would be a b!+ch for me. I do plan to do most of the interior work, and have my guys do the exterior work. All I really need is a framing carpenter, concrete guy, plumber and electrician.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
As I've stated another place I've built something similar to that and my cost was 47 / sf.. one difference would be that we didn't put any carpet down - only a 3/4" subfloor and 1/4" underlayment. It had all wood trim, metal roof, vinyl windows (didn't really like them but owner wanted), cedar lap siding, oak kitchen, etc..etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
I'm going for heavy cedar shake roofing, cca treated. Not sure on windows but I'm leaning towards Marvin Integrity.
Who's your cedar shake supplier? The stuff we've been seeing up here has not been very impressive. I've accumulated quite a library of photos showing split and cracked shingles, mold and moss, discoloration and general decreptitude (now there's a word I don't get to use often!).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
We get our cedar shake from Fraser Cedar Products www.frasercedar.com . Actually we get it through their local rep, Steadfast Cedar.

We just had a bad problem with a shipment of mediums. They gave us a few squares of cca mixed with our class C. OOPS. My guys installed it :(
Hmm, these guys are right around the corner from my plant. I think I'll go and see where they get their wood from, and see if it was their product that I have seen in such bad shape. Then again, maybe they can show me that their stuff is much better. Gotta go find my "Sherlock" hat. :D

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know if their product is crappy. They are the cheapest in the area, but cheap isn't always better. The rep from frasier cedar told me his shakes are more uniform in size and color than most manufacturers, but then again I tell my customers similiar lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts