Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Flies! dozens of them! yuck. I'm working on a house that was built in 1900. I am re&re the casing, take off the old stuff and put on new.

The room is not insulated, and you can see daylight on the edge of the window frame. They've replaced the windows already and they just wanted it trimmed out for now.

Ok, I take off the heavily painted hand nailed casing, and a fly buzzes out. no big deal.

Then there were two flies.

Then dozens!! holy crap! I opened the window to let them out, but they were buzzing around, and I was doing the dance of a thousand fleas. Meanwhile in the hallway was a 2 1/2 yr old girl laughing her head off at my dance!!! sheesh! LOL

so the flies buzzed out the window, the tyke imitated my flea dance, and I went to starbucks. I had a good laugh on that one, thank G## it wasn't bees.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Funny story. I can admit I've danced like an idiot a time or two and then looked around to see who might have seen me. Flies are better than bees, I keep encountering nests behind casing, but so far they have been abandoned.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The little girl mocking you reminds me of my own embarrassing moment.

I was umpiring baseball in South Carolina. First game I was on the bases and in between games went to the parking lot to put on the gear for my game behind the plate.

My truck was parked in the last spot with a curb along the passenger side. I opened the door on that side and used it to screen me from all the families coming and going between games while I slip my cup in my pants.

What I didn't notice was that I was standing on a large fire ant hill. I think they all wait to bite until there are a couple thousand in position to pounce. By the time I felt them my legs were covered.

I slammed the door and ran behind the truck where I ended up stripping off my pants and beating them on the tailgate. The parking lot a buzz in activity and me pounding my pants like a mad man.

I hear a young boy yell "Look mom, the umpire has no pants!" I turn and see a few dozen people staring at me. All I could do is continue my pounding while yelling "fire ants, fire ants"

Nothing but laughter came my way. I was then the ump with ants in his pants. Oh well, better than a lot of the names I was called.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That must be why in the last two places I have lived, hundreds of flies suddenly make their appearance in my house and then after a few days they are gone (and I have a couple hundred dead flies to clean up.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Spray some insecticide down the shop vac after. I did that at the cottage once, sucked up 7000 flies after getting the place all warmed up. Felt pretty smug until 5 minutes later when i was having a beer and 700flies flew out of the vacuum

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yup, from when 2 x 4's were actually 2 x 4, and the 1 x 10 shiplap is actually solid fir 1" x 10". Hard as frakin iron, but hey - it lasted. It made my fein blade smoke LOL
I just re-read this. Interesting that 2000kms away houses were built about the same. balloon framed 2x4 with ship lap 1x10 inside and out. Our ship lap is all white pine i'm pretty sure though, 2x material is spruce. both hard and dry and you smoke through it as much as you cut it. then you buy a new blade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.