Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder in this economy etc. to keep your tools safe. I had a few cordless tools "grow some legs" and walk off my job yesterday:rolleyes:.

I suppose they thought they could sell the cordless tools the easiest since they left plenty of other, more expensive tools alone. took what they could just grab quick and get out looks like.

so anyhow, keep your stuff as secure as you can...

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
I also know of a few people with caches stolen over the past few months.

Make sure your Eotech batteries are good and your Surefire lights are bright.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I have a friend who helps me on occasion and he showed up to work yesterday with an awesome deal he got over the weekend on tools. He bought a 14v Dewalt drill with charger and an 18v Dewalt drill for $20 each. I told him to keep "his" tools in his vehicle and just use mine. I dont want stolen tools in my vehicles or trailer, last thing i need is the Law showing up and taking all of my tools because he had a stolen drill in my trailer. The drills were numbered too so i am sure they belonged to a contractor. This friend i know is honest but the kid he bought the drills from i know isnt.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just engraved all my tools the other day. not that it'll help much, if a thief wants something they'll take it.
I did more so b/c sometimes you get on a job and other trades might have the same brand tools. this way mine are marked.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just a friendly reminder in this economy etc. to keep your tools safe. I had a few cordless tools "grow some legs" and walk off my job yesterday:rolleyes:.

I suppose they thought they could sell the cordless tools the easiest since they left plenty of other, more expensive tools alone. took what they could just grab quick and get out looks like.

so anyhow, keep your stuff as secure as you can...
I understand the battery acid is used to make crack.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I had a coworker of mine show up in a building tract in Central California at 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. to install finish stairs and handrail and while he was "making a deposit" in one of the lovely cans onsite someone liberated the tools out of his van... a milwaukee compound mitre slide saw, nail guns, router, etc. Cleaned him out... all it takes is a minute...

I was working in Stockton, CA putting subfascia and fascia on a new roof system we had rolled the day before (went from a flat roof to a 5/12) and while we were putting up fascia in the back yard, maybe out there 10 minutes, someone nicked the 12" Dewalt compound saw we had set up in the carport out front... just makes me sick.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Some suggestions that risk managers make re tool theft:

- Mark your tools prominently with your name or company logo which would make it harder to re-sell and easier to identify. In addition to a large prominent mark that anyone can see, you should also place a small hidden mark (inside the battery compartment for example) so that you can prove to police the tool is actually yours if recovered. Some thieves are able to remove the prominent visible mark and this way the hidden mark is still there for possible identification.

- There are now small GPS tracking systems that you can hide inside power tools or inside the carrying cases. They are not cheap - cost about $300-$500 and then there is a fee to have it activated. You don't have to buy one for every single power tool you have. Just put it in the most attractive piece you own; odds are the thieves will make off with several items. If you are able to track down one item, chances are you'll find the others too. And you'll be onto the "bad guy" once you know where your monitored tool is located.

- Some manufacturers will install special keys or kill switches on higher-end valuable items. Mark your tool with an easy-to-see sticker indicating that it won't work without the "special key" so no point it stealing it.

P.S. - I just thought of one of my clients who didn't pay to have the special keys made, but still put big stickers on his tools indicating that secret theft-preventive devices had been installed. He saved himself money but potential thieves wouldn't know and would hopefully still be deterred from taking his tools.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just engraved all my tools the other day. not that it'll help much, if a thief wants something they'll take it.
I did more so b/c sometimes you get on a job and other trades might have the same brand tools. this way mine are marked.
I also recently engraved all of my tools as well. Just in the rare case that if I do come across someone that stole something from me I will know. I also have been in the habit of locking my truck every time I leave it at the site. It is annoying but it keeps people from stealing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had a coworker of mine show up in a building tract in Central California at 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. to install finish stairs and handrail and while he was "making a deposit" in one of the lovely cans onsite someone liberated the tools out of his van... a milwaukee compound mitre slide saw, nail guns, router, etc. Cleaned him out... all it takes is a minute...

I was working in Stockton, CA putting subfascia and fascia on a new roof system we had rolled the day before (went from a flat roof to a 5/12) and while we were putting up fascia in the back yard, maybe out there 10 minutes, someone nicked the 12" Dewalt compound saw we had set up in the carport out front... just makes me sick.
I'm from the Central valley area... i'd tell you a dog is a great protection element. Always good to lock your truck/van and have things securely chained/cable locked down. There is usually a starbucks near most of these tracts in cent. valley modesto/stockton, lodi..so i always make it a point i'll take a **** there and not using a porta potty. I'll chain down my tools and usually have the dog on patrol too leashed 15 ft. chain.

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
When I was just starting out on my own I was living in Manhattan in a 4th floor walk up...Everyday I would drive around for what seemed like forever looking for a parking spot or at least some place I could stop for a few minutes so I could drag my tools up and down the stairs. Eventually I started getting a little lazy, thinking Ive been doing this for over a year and my truck has never had a problem. No one can see inside...Within a week or 2 I had my window smashed and a rolling case of my power tools stolen.That hurt. It cost alot to replace everything and I though I was furious, I was more mad at myself. I was actually a little relieved that they took the power tool box and not the hand tool box. Its taken years to assemble what I think is a perfect box of hand tools that just feel like over the years have just shaped themselves to fit my grubby hands.... That would have been near impossible to replace.

What a wake up call. I will never get lazy like that again...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Think your self lucky you dont work in East london. I worked there for many years and you could park your vehicle 50 yards from you in plain sight and if you leave anything in view like a pack of ciggerettes or a cd them f*****s will smash your window to have them out. They can even see you watching them and they dont care as they know the area so well that as soon as you get over to your car they are gone. Just the other day my mate was building a wall there and he said he watched these 2 kids walk right past him on the road and he was no more than 20ft away from them and they looked into his car and see his lunch box and smashed his window and was off. He didnt have a chance catching them with his rigger boots on. Some of the kids have some serious front and they wouldnt think twice about cutting your face if you confronted them. Not at all sad to not be going back there to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts