1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Calidecks

Now it’s got me thinking.….

DCA 6 shows guard posts on the outside of the rim, but it shows either inside or outside of joist.

2- I thought guard posts were not allowed to be notched anymore, but I couldn’t find it to prove it.

And last one…..If you put a rail on a deck where it is not required, for example on a deck that is less than 30” above grade, must that guard meet all the requirements of a guard?

My understanding is that it must conform to all the standards of a guard, but once again, I was unable to back it up. 😳🤣

·
Eater of sins.
4,784 Posts
I know that the latest DCA-6 shows and tells that notching 4x4 to fit on rim joists or such and acting as newel posts for guards are not allowed.
It describes using Simpson ties on full 4x4s inside and outside rim joists.
I was just reading about it in the JLC.
As for do the guards need to conform to code if the deck is under 30" from grade, I have had to comply with that in two cities here in Orange County and not in three other cities plus the county when it came up. It was up to the BO.
I suspect that if I had taken the time to take it to a higher jurisdictional authority, I would have ultimately prevailed but then I figured, "**** it!". Not worth the time.

Andy.

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
There's nowhere in the code that requires rails on a deck that's 30" or less. There's also nowhere in the code that has any requirements for rails that are not required.

I've got the info on the notches give a couple to dig it up.

Mike.
___

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
Andy's correct about the fight though.

There are times when it's absolute and others when it isn't.

For example, I installed railing on a deck in the front of a home that was 6" off the ground. The railing was asthetics only. The HO wasn't about to have 42" rails. Didn't get called on it, but it was a fight I was willing to take.

Mike.
___

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
Here:

CRC Section R312 Guards
R312.1.1 Where Required
Guards shall be provided for those portions of open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.
R312.1.2 Height
Required guards at open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, porches, balconies or landings, shall be not less than 42 inches in height as measured vertically above the adjacent walking surface or the line connecting the nosings.
Exceptions:
Guards on the open sides of stairs shall have a height of not less than 34 inches measured vertically from a line connecting the nosings.
Where the top of the guard serves as a handrail on the open sides of stairs, the top of the guard shall be not less than 34 inches and not more than 38 inches as measured vertically from a line connecting the nosings.

Mike.
___

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
Crazy part is most of the country I think is 36" Cali had to be different.

I guess Californians are taller.

I always tell my clients. Decks have to be two things. They have to be safe and they have to look good.

Mike.
___

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will say if the dca calls for no less than 4x4 then a notch would make it less than 4x4.

Mike.
___
Makes sense

Talking to my my guy today about posts, and I said I didn’t think you could notch them

I usually put mine on the inside of the rim, with a DTT2

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, one a Code question, and one a curiosity question. 🤣

I see you have a post on the inside of the rim. I’ve always done those. I’ve never had an issue with those. DCA 6 Only shows them on the outside though.

Second, what is the row of blocking for on the inside the rim for?

That’s the MOAD if I recognize the pics correctly?

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
Yes it's the MOAD. The row of blocking is to grab the joists with nails going counter (shear) to the pull push force vs. the force pulling with the nails only into the end grain that you'd get with a rim joist by itself without blocking.

As far as code it doesn't matter if the post is inside or out. The force is protected the same.

Mike.
___

1 - 20 of 23 Posts