Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, as most of you know it is going to be mandatory to have your license by 2010 as a GC. The people at the city hall aren't very helpful, they told me you need a criminal record, insurance, BN, and you need to pass the test with at least 70%. The test refers to material in the Ontario Building Code Book Section 9, but section 9 is 243 pages. Anyone here who has done the test or has knowledge about it. Do you have to study the entire section 9? or only certain parts? I sub electrician and plumber but the rest of the work is either me or my team with my supervision

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Hey guys, I am just down the road in London - never heard of this new license deal. I see they are bringing that in at the same time as Ontario is going to bring in the HST.

Do you suppose the underground economy is going to benefit??

I like the idea of the license as a way (not total solution) to get the hacks out of the game, however, I don't see that happening. What about the HO's that use an unlicensed contractor - shouldn't they be charged as well?

·
Registered
188 Posts
So far it is just Metro Toronto that will need to be licensed. The test is at the very least a minimum as to what a carpenter/contractor should know.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
you need a criminal record,
That shouldn't be a problem for most guys around here.

Tough for me though, I don't have one. What's the easiest way to get one. I could drink and and crash into a cop car.....nahhhh.

Uhh...Robbery?,, Nah, could get shot...

Arson? Insurance fraud? Hmmm.....I do need a new garage. Arson it is!!!!!!!! Bring on the marshmallows, Pappy's gone do some burnin' tonight. Yeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Wow, an entire thread with nothing but Canadians!!

Since we have this moment, How are you guys doing in your areas??

Last winter was crap but the phone calls and emails just keep coming right now.

Actually looking at expanding!

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Hey, as most of you know it is going to be mandatory to have your license by 2010 as a GC. The people at the city hall aren't very helpful, they told me you need a criminal record, insurance, BN, and you need to pass the test with at least 70%. The test refers to material in the Ontario Building Code Book Section 9, but section 9 is 243 pages. Anyone here who has done the test or has knowledge about it. Do you have to study the entire section 9? or only certain parts? I sub electrician and plumber but the rest of the work is either me or my team with my supervision
I got my building renovator license from Municipal Licensing and Standards (850 Coxwell ave). You need:
-A registered business
-Criminal Background check
-Fee (something around $300-400)
-Then they book you 2-3 months away from your "exam".
-The exam is basically a sit down 1/2hr-45 min with a building official (licensing examiner). They will throw all sorts of questions at you and you better know the answers. Bring proof/documentation of your experience/education/certificates/other licenses you hold.
-If you pass, they send you a laminated card (way oversized to fit in your wallet) and a paper license that accompany's the card with your license and trade number on it.

I'm also a Municipal Licensed Designer (BCIN) under the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in the "House" category, which was 50% just Part 9 of the OBC (2006).

Now, I got my Renovator license before I got my BCIN...they didn't require me to pass an OBC exam (part 9 or anything). I'm really surprised that they're changing that, unless you misunderstood the category that you're trying to qualify for.

I think George Brown offers something like a 40 hr class on part 9 (It's an essential section that applies to a lot of trades and home inspectors have to pass the class with a 70% - like designers- as a criterion for getting certified). You don't need to take the class, but if you're not familiar with the OBC I'm sure it helps.

I'm really surprised they're making GC's pass a part 9 exam...I never heard the news. I think it's great news though, I've been waiting for them to crack down.:thumbsup:

The Designer exam was tough...the GC license was a walk in the park, the hardest part was just waiting for your number to get called up (Show up 1/2hr early) in the morning to sign in...they call numbers based on the sign in sheet and that 1/2 hr will save you 2 hrs.

Good luck.

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Ohhhhh...now I understand what you're saying...I think ...from re-reading your post.

"THEY" told you the test has to do with part 9.

Well of course it does, all GC's need to know part 9.

THAT'S WAY DIFFERENT from writing a multiple choice exam on part 9. It's probably the same thing I mentioned, you sit down with the examiner. The questions he asks you are all questions you should have answers to that are covered in part 9.

Difference being, he may ask a question that you should know WHICH IS WAY DIFFERENT FROM:

16. According to Article 9.10.3.2. of the building code, and SG-2, what is the assigned
flame-spread rating for 11 mm interior grade, unfinished Douglas Fir plywood?
A-300
B-1.5
C-150
D-100

And that's something you have to answer as a Designer, in a written exam where you are allowed to bring in the coder book with you (you pretty much can't write the exam without it).

JUST KNOW YOUR PART 9 MAN!!!

yeah, it's 200 some odd pages, but it's 50% definitions, exclusion, general talk, and repetitive legal talk. Highlight the meat of it and now you're only looking at 100 some odd pages...80% you already know (if you're good). So it's just the other 20% you have to remind yourself about.

What's the min. tread depth on a stair again?
What's the max. span on grade A 2x10 spruce again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi arawas,

Where did you fear this information from? A friend of my is moving here from england and is a renovator over there and wants to know more about getting his licence here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
essexboy

Hi arawas,

Where did you fear this information from? A friend of my is moving here from england and is a renovator over there and wants to know more about getting his licence here.
Send him my e mail address and i can give him some advice.ive been here 7 years now ,and loving all the work thats here.May be we can even do some jobs together.

John

[email protected]

toronto

·
Don
1,322 Posts
how come i never heard of any exam, i registered my business in 05, but i started off with fence. im gonna look into it and get it done with, except i never did an apprenticeship, i learned everything on my own. and how much or of a record is a bad one:sad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
reno license

This is fantastic news, we got licensed with toronto within the last year (building renovator) at Coxwell, and my partner is in the process of applying for his carpentry papers (CFQ Certificate of Qualification) allowing us to do our own carpentry. All structural gets inspected.
My partner has being down renovations in toronto for the past 12 years and never had a "license inspector" come to a jobsite... and city permit inspectors have never been by.

We work with one contractor who regularly pulls permits and he does not have his license.. Why would the city not disallow this?

·
Don
1,322 Posts
i have done so many permits with the city and 75% of them drawn up by me and i have never had a problem, and i always wonder why don't they have something like that where they ask you for a license in renovation, i have only heard of stuff like that from the American guys on here, i was there at coxwell. a few days ago, and they were so lost to what i was asking for, so i have to go back and meet with someone else, don't know when ill make time now

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a renovator's licence for decking in Toronto. There was no exam. When I got it they didn't even have a catagory for decking. They had to make it on the spot.
For 15 years I've had it. Do you think it made one tiny bit of difference in getting a sale? Nope. Price, price price. That's all they worry about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
renovator license in toronto

feel so good to be in this forum,learn so much,anybody in toronto recenly got the renovetor license ? how does it works to get one,really needed help,thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry guys, but looks like I misunderstood everything.

If I am a GC in GTA, hiring licensed subs, I still do need a license myself? I can not find any information on any of city web sites...

Please help me out on this one. Where do you even go to apply?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I've had my license for the GTA since like 1975. It covers specific things. Mine if for carpentry, alluminum, shingling, and concrete.

You will need to sit with an interviewer who will ask you questions on whatever you are applying for.

If you are looking for a GC license, then yes, you will need to know section 9 of the building code.

Just phone city hall and ask them where you go for information/web site/and the exam.

It clearly says on the license "all work to be done by licensed trades".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts