Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to tell you I have a pilot friend who lives in evaston. When ever i go up there we always go to this restaurant in glenview called the YARD HOUSE. I don't know if you have ever heard of but its a great place. It has a great bar with alot of different kinds of beer i don't drink anymore but anyway and great big booths. The food is also excellent. i usually get the coconut shrimp and a steak. Its definately worth checking out if you have never heard of. Oh it has cement floors polished. Big bang for your buck. They also take diners club I like that. Can't remember what street its on he always drives don't really know northshore very well. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prowall SUPER DOGS ON NORTH MILWAUKEE...THAT PLACE IS A CHICAGO INSTITUTION..never heard of place you mentioned but i wrote it down. Will investigate next time at my friends house in evanston.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The yard house is excellent! I live in Glenview, not 5 minutes away from the yard house. My office is walking distance. mmmm 3' tall beers. <drools> They literally have over 150 beers ON TAP. I usually get their 6 pack sampler when I go.

Super Dawgs is excellent after a strong work out or long night of drinking. I grew up not 5 minutes away from there. Funny how two restaraunts frequent get brought up in the same thread.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yard House ?

747 said:
I forgot to tell you I have a pilot friend who lives in evaston. When ever i go up there we always go to this restaurant in glenview called the YARD HOUSE. I don't know if you have ever heard of but its a great place. It has a great bar with alot of different kinds of beer i don't drink anymore but anyway and great big booths. The food is also excellent. i usually get the coconut shrimp and a steak. Its definately worth checking out if you have never heard of. Oh it has cement floors polished. Big bang for your buck. They also take diners club I like that. Can't remember what street its on he always drives don't really know northshore very well. :Thumbs:
Hi 747

in your search engine put in "Yard House +Glenview"
it will give you a lot of info

AL

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You know what another EXCELLENT restaurant is one of my favorites in the loop. Weber bar and grill in river north on state street. Its owned by the people who make weber grills and they cook all the food on weber charcol grills. Excellent steak and burgers and barbeque. I can't say enough about that place either. :Thumbs: And its not over priced. Here is another one of my favorites located in the rush and division area of chicago on north rush gibsons steak house. Probably the best steak house in chicago. Its not cheap but the porterhouse is AWESOME. Grumpy has definately heard of gibsons. Maybe not weber bar and grill but definately gibsons. :Thumbs: RITE GRUMPY

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've never been to the loop weber, but I have been to the wheeling weber. I found their steak to be above average but not great.

Just a little history: I eat alot of steak and am very picky about it. I couldn't ever dream of eating a piece of meat from a steak house like outback. Therefore when I say it was above average that's still a compliment.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ate at Bill's Dog House in Florida as young man. A franchise place maybe?

Best dogs I ever had. The taste is still in my memory over twenty years later.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Grumpy said:
I've never been to the loop weber, but I have been to the wheeling weber. I found their steak to be above average but not great.

Just a little history: I eat alot of steak and am very picky about it. I couldn't ever dream of eating a piece of meat from a steak house like outback. Therefore when I say it was above average that's still a compliment.

I think you should give the Outback one try. They are pretty good in this area. I don't now if that changes around the country. As far as prime rib goes I think they are the best when it comes to chain restaurants. My other half is also a big meat eater and picky!! Of course they can't touch family restaurants but then again who can!!?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
No way! I've given Outback many tries which is why I know they suck. There is zero seasoning on their steaks and even when medium cooked are still very tough IMO. Maybe I am just super particular about my dead cow?

I've eaten a steak, I think at Mortons, at Navy pier it was Filet Mignon at $45 ala carte. It melted in my mouth like butter and was perfectly seasoned. That's how a steak should be done, seasoned before it's cooked not after. Anyone who puts steak sauce on a steak might as well be eating a hamburger.

Another good steak house is Pete Millers in Weeling. I especially like their 6 table billiards waiting room. Much less expensive than Mortons ( I think it was) and still just as good in flavor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh! I thought you had never been! See my other half is so picky she won't eat anything with seasoning. She thinks that ruins a good piece of meat just like steak sauce. But, you're right when you find a place that you like sometimes you have to overlook the price to satisfy the old palate.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We have a place called 'The Speckled Perch' in Okeechobee. Top of the line beef. I'll bet that no one thinks of FL as one of the top beef producers in the nation, but we are.
Speckled Perch are what are known a Crappies or Faux-au-lait in other areas. They don't serve fish. FYI, all sunfish are reffered to as 'brim' although shellcrackers may be singled out in certain regions. We do grow brim to dinnerplate size.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grumpy Mortons excellent choice it and gibsons are my two favorite steak restaurants in chicago. They only serve STOCKYARD BEEF from chicago. PRIME RIB. Lawry's. Let me think morton's is in river north on north state around 1000 north.....Gibsons North Rush Kind of the bar area meaning around rush and divison and Lawry's is like 2 blocks south of northwestern memorial hospital. Outback is ok but its not like Mortons or Gibsons. Whats the name of that other place like outback in illinois the place where you can through peanuts shells on the floor? Oh i got it lonestar. I have ate at both outback and lonestar but when i go there i pick my own steaks to be cooked. You have to walk back in kitchen and there is like a glass meat display with steaks in it and i say hey can you pull me a steak and cook it no problem. Thats if i'm heading home from work and hungry because you really have to go to the city for the best steak houses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts