Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you heard Denver had a hail storm a month ago that was the 4th worst for damage? Estimates are damages up to about 150 million so far. My neighborhood got hit pretty hard and just about every other house is having a roof replaced. Lots of cedar shake going away, plus regular 3 tab stuff too.

Anyways I have been watching my neighbors roofs being replaced surrounding my back yard and watched 2 different companies work on houses next to each other. What a night and day show that was.

One crew of 6 took 7 days to replace the roof of one house and the other crew of 5 took 5 days on the other similar house. I watched the slow crew every night leave buckets of nails and rolls of felt, along with scraps of shingles and their foam cushions on the roof. Sure enough over the weekend we got a nice storm and most of that crap ended up sliding off the roof! Smashed the patio table into pieces. I also watched them slip and rip felt off and stuff it back into place somewhat, along with all kinds of amateur stuff.

What really got me, now maybe I just don't know how its done, but apparently removing the old gutters by the roofing crew was part of the deal so they could be replaced later by a gutter company, but this same crew attached a long rope to one end of a 30 foot gutter 2 stories up and had all 6 of them tug it to rip the old gutters off after they were done with the roof. All manner of crap came off with the old gutters, what a show, they almost broke two windows on the house and cut themselves in half when they got the last bit free and it came crashing down!

Is it just me or what?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Roofing

You are absolutely right about that.

What you describe is a sad example of what happens when people claim to be skilled !!!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
The good thing about companies like that is most of them won't be in business for more than a few years. The problem is there are usually 10 more to take their place. Sad..sad.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I absolutely LOVE companies like that. They make us look good without even trying. You'd never catch us horsing around with those type of antics :)

Mike PLEASE take some pics for me so I can have a good laugh :)

This is typical of storm chasers. High pressure salesmen move into a hard hit area. They sell alot of jobs for high prices, as much as the insurance is willing to pay. They then hire unqualified, unlicensed, and uninsured subs to do the work.

Hooray for storm chasers! Keep up the bad work!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts